1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top Evangelicals Still Await GOP Invite

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JGrubbs, Aug 12, 2004.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Some prominent evangelical Christians say they have not been invited to participate in or attend the Republican National Convention less than three weeks before the event is to begin.

Analysts said the move likely reflects a GOP desire to sideline its more polarizing supporters during a tight presidential race, but convention organizers deny they're marginalizing the religious leaders. Republican strategist Ralph Reed said Wednesday that invitations just started going out to evangelical figures, but he would not release any names.

The Rev. Franklin Graham, who delivered the invocation at President Bush's inauguration, has had no request to attend so far, said Graham spokesman Mark DeMoss.

The Rev. Jerry Falwell, who offered a prayer at the 2000 convention, said he has not yet been asked to do so this year. He plans to go "quietly in and quietly out" of the New York event, although he insists no one in the Republican campaigns asked him to keep a low profile.

The Rev. Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition and a one-time Republican presidential candidate, said, "I've had no request from anybody to be there." Unlike Falwell, Robertson believes the GOP is deliberately keeping him and other evangelicals away.

"In the last convention, the thought was to keep all the conservatives out of sight," said Robertson, who has attended every Republican convention since 1988, but said he won't go this year. "The general thrust will be to entice the so-called independent moderates and I am not sure that there would be much reason for a conservative to be there."

SOURCE

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

"Ralph Reed, now born again as a political strategist, has moved on from doing God's work to doing George W. Bush's" --Joshua Green, Atlantic Monthly, April 2004

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It's a tight race. Bush needs to move to the center if he's to have a chance. That means no embarassing evangelicals to scare off moderates.

Like Falwell, most of them will take it and shut up.

Bush knows they won't leave. Where will they go?

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Evangelicals are not registered to vote. Those that do vote, split their votes about equally with the Democrats. Bush is more of a mainline Protestant than an Evangelical, in my opinion. Many Evangelicals are against the wasteful expenditure of the Faith-Based Initiative. Obviously, the flaw in giving all those Black churches money for social programs is that it does not translate into GOP votes and there is no way to account for the way the money will be spent or thrown away. One church in Indianapolis wanted the money to put volunteers in a soup kitchen and food pantry on the payroll.

I think that it is good for Evangelicals to distance themselves from Bush. The main strength of the Bush campaign is the weakness of Kerry as a politician and his current crisis of being found out for his fraud about being in Cambodia illegally for Christmas 1968 when drunken South Vietnamese forces celebrating Christmas fired upon Kerry.

The Pentagon is investigating drunken allies at Christmas parties in illegal areas of a war theater--especially when firing at phantom or nonexistent targets and when they weren't there themselves anyway.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, you think that way, cmg. You are anti-conservative, especially toward Christian conservatives.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Do you want Evangelicals to endorse and support Bush? Pat Robertson, a regular Republican, will probably endorse Bush. I don't know about the others. What is the need for Evangelicals to be close to Bush? What do you want Evangelicals to do, Ken?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it wasn't for Christian conservatives, Al Gore would be president right now. You would think the GOP would show appreciation for that fact at it's convention in a couple of weeks.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you supporting Bush now instead of Peroutka, Ken? If so, that is a good sign. It is true that Evangelicals voted for Bush more than Gore; but I have read that they voted for Clinton more than Bush 41 or more than Dole. They are an independent lot. Bush has been a domestic disappointment in a sense because he is so weak since he is a minority President.

Of course, I am a regular, Main Street Republican. I believe in majority rule with minority rights. I believe that people should register and vote. It is upsetting to me that so many Evangelicals are not registered.

Exodus 18:21 Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens: (KJV)

Exodus 18:21 But you should select from all the people able men, God-fearing, trustworthy, and hating bribes. Place [them]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. over the people as officials of thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens. (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

www.ivotevalues.com

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only in your dreams, cmg, only in your dreams. [​IMG]

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't found the data for 1992 but in 1996 76% of evangelicals voted for Bob Dole.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    George H.W. Bush won 55% of the evanglical vote in 1992.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected. Evangelicals have leaned towards the GOP.

The Democrat Party seems to have been taken over by extreme leftists, secular humanists. Their platform is impractical.

Ken, do you think that it is the issue of abortion and the Democrat Party platform to uphold Roe v. Wade that is costing them votes in the Evangelical category?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Same with the Republican Party.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why would an evangelical want to speak at a convention??? We have real battles to fight over real issues. Why waste the time at a staged production?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To tell the truth, the Constitution Party did not invite any Evangelicals to speak at their convention either. So I don't see why the Constitution Party cares so much about what happens at the GOP convention at the end of the month in New York City.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, obviously, cmg, you have not looked at the speakers list at the Constitution Party national convention.

Second, speaking for myself, I am quite involved with the GOP as I am helping conservative Republicans to get elected to office. And if the GOP nominates a conservative candidate for president in 2008, such as someone like Congressman Tom Tancredo, I would enthusiastically support such a GOP candidate for president.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, did they include the ones that the Constitution Party listed at the start of this thread or are you changing the list now, Ken?

We were talking about Franklin Graham, Falwell, and Robertson. Now the list seems to have been expanded to fit the latest CP spin.

Fact is the CP is unattractive to Evangelicals.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fact is you are speaking out of either ignorance or malice, cmg.