1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Top Ten: Myths about Evolution

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Aug 21, 2014.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, first I know it's a typo and all, but how hilarious is the phrase "correct/thrustworthy"?

Yes, correct on spiritual issues and also correct on historical issues according to the standard of the time. The ancients didn't view history in the same manner that we do today. Doesn't it make it wrong or in error. It makes it what it was, ancient history, recorded by ancient people with different historical standards than we have today. I'm not bothered by this in the least. It actually serves to reaffirm my belief in the trustworthiness of scripture and the doctrine of inspiration.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate the "kind" words. Does this mean no Christmas card this year?

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A different standard is not a limit. There was absolute brilliance in those ancients, just look at some of their architecture, truly remarkable.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too! Now we know were all the fundamentalists are:tongue3:

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it is sharper than a two-edged sword.

Wait, is that allegorical, or literal?

Carry on...

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forget the exact number, but we're talking about around an entire year that the earth was flooded. All vegetation died. Think about it. Sorry, but no, all insects would not have survived in such a scenario.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you don't understand at all. There are about a million and a half or so different species of animals right now. Multiply that by at least two, or 7 if they were "clean". Forget the 7 right now, we're talking about 3 million animals on the ark. Noah's ark was 450'x75' with three levels, basically 101,250 square feet total. Divide that by 3 million. You end up with 0.03375 square foot which is less than 5 square inches PER ANIMAL.

The only conclusion is to admit that even if the story of the ark was true, that only the different major "kinds" were stored on the ark then they later branched out and formed all these smaller groups, which is exactly what evolution is, and yes this is exactly the argument that most biblical scholars have.

8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh you will get a Christmas Card!... What is your Address in Narnia:smilewinkgrin:

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It would be nice if you could present some bona fides that make you an expert on ancient historians.

10. OldRegular

So one must assume you reject the Biblical record of the rebellion of Adam and Eve against GOD and all subsequent references to Adam and Eve and the fall.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't have to be sorry. I do not care if you are wrong. I can tell you that your view is at great odds with many scholars.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What part of "everything died" do you guys not understand?

Genesis
    7:21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
    7:22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
    7:23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

If it wasn't in the ark, it died. Period.

#72 corndogggy, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an expert. I am a reader and had to take Old Testament classes while taking classes from seminary. There is plenty out there to read on the subject, are you asking for recommendations?

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

OR, I try not too much to wade into these discussions, as I am confident and secure in both the God of Creation and evolution as a means of that creation. Although I could say more, I will "choose" not to do so. Believing that God is literal and he literally created is not contrary to acknowledging that evolution is a very real possibility as to HOW HE CREATED.

15. OldRegular

So your concept of GOD is: If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

16. OldRegular

So you read. That does not an expert make. Seminary has been the downfall of many a novice!

17. OldRegular

Your zeal has led you astray. Read the passage again and read it slowly, especially verse 21 and 22. Well just read the entire passage, but slowly! Then rethink your last remark. Period!

18. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I lean toward a local flood.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. There are several credible opinions other than a literal interpretation, though a literal interpretation isn't entirely out of the question. There could have been two historical people named Adam and Eve who sinned against God. No issues there. I lean toward Adam and Eve being representative of humanity rejecting God. When the Fall happened or who were the first to Fall is an interesting question if you're into such discussions. There can little doubt however to the reality of a Fall, the clear evidence is well documented throughout ancient and modern history. Salvation is not dependent on believing someone else sinned first, it begins with understanding that I am a sinner and will one day be held accountable for my sin.

It's not an unimportant question, the when or who of the Fall, it is more important that we understand we are indeed fallen, desperately in need of a Savior.

20. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: