1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Total Depravity

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Amen! And amen! [​IMG] In Christ, WT

2. Graceforever

Graceforever New Member

Amen! And amen! [​IMG] In Christ, WT </font>[/QUOTE]I'll second that Amen..... Amen!

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Acts 10:1-2
    There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
    A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

Acts 10:22
    And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

Without Christ yet, "devout", "just" and "God fearing".

Thanks -------Bart

4. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Bart,

The text says that Cornelious was devout and that he feared God. It does not say he was "just."

It says that his servants said he was just. They were not speaking in theological or terms but in terms of how they perceived Cornelious compared to other men.

This is a good example proving that having a "good report" among men does not make a man just, even though men may think so. Justification before God comes only through the new birth and therefore we know that it could not be said that Cornelious actually was a just man before his conversion.

The fact that he "feared God" proves nothing other than that he was afraid of God's judgment. This is very likely the reason he was religiously devout, hoping thereby to escape the judgement of God.

But Cornelious was still a totally depraved sinner just like every other man. He is a prime example of how we can smooth our sinfulness over in the sight of men while inwardly we are full of dead men's bones.

Mark Osgatharp

5. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Here is the picture:
    God by his divine plan works and draws me to Christ.
    I eventually believe because He has ordained my position before the foundation of the world.
    Now that I am saved I have the ability to choose to walk in the spirit or walk in the world.
    Now that God in His sovereign will has saved me he leaves me to fight this unbelievable fight that I toil and travail in (with the flesh) until I die. Before I am saved I have no will, now that I am saved I have a will and struggle with staying right with God. Before I had no choice, now that God has worked in my heart, I have a choice and am miserable with the flesh. To do that which is good, I do not because I have a law in my members. Where is unconditional election now? Why am I not unconditionally elected to bliss and total happines in my life. What a joke on me. He saved me by His will and left me with mine.

Thanks ------Bart

6. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

"Why did God command Noah to build the ark and save himself and his house from being destroyed with the rest of men -all men, women, and children upon the face of the earth? Was Noah the only one elected to be spared? You will find the answer in God's Word! By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. Heb 11:7"
    Olliver B. Green

Thanks ------Bart

7. NarrowWay

NarrowWay New Member

The other important thing is that most Baptists don't really care about the theologies of Calvin or Arminius. I didn't have any knowledge about either one of these growing up in a SBC church. What we did believe very strongly is that the Holy Spirit plays an essential role in a person's coming to Christ and accepting Him as their Lord and Savior. Actually, I've never understood how this doctrine differs from Total Depravity. God in the form of the Holy Spirit is necessary for someone to come to Christ.