1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Totally disgusted with church

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There's been no potluck or cookout at our church since the fourth of July.

Folks, that's a LONG time.

AND WE CALL OURSELVES BAPTIST! :laugh:

Ok, so I'm not HONESTLY disgusted with the church, but I have to tell you, I used to hate potlucks and such. I never knew who made what and wondered if they had washed their hands or if they had animals that licked it and what if it got dropped on the floor?

Now I'm just so grateful that someone cooked something and it wasn't me that I could kiss whoever brought food. That's the beauty of these things. They have SIGN UP SHEETS! And you don't have to sign up for cooking stuff if you don't want to, because there's other stuff like bringing drinks and such. I'm so thankful that I usually go overboard and take a zillion things (if I bring chips, you're GONNA have chips and they'll be name brand, lol).

So I'd like to encourage everyone here reading this today to have a potluck. There doesn't need to be a reason, just DO it!

Then send me the time, day, and directions to get there. :thumbs:

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Bless Gina, Lord! She needs some food.

I hate pot luck. I used to love it, but now, I find it annoying. And everyone brings green beans.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Come to my house, Gina! I can almost guarantee that anytime you drop by, you'll have potluck! :laugh:

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I love the green beans, and of course broccoli casserole.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

And them freaky broccoli casseroles.

6. standingfirminChrist

... or a pounding. ROFL

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Of course, Blackbird grew up down dar in de south Louisiana---in dat capital city of Baton Rouge

We KNEW how to handle a church potluck!!!!

8. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I LOVE POTLUCKS!!!! We have one before Bible Study @ church every Monday night.

Vitamins A-B-C-D-E-F-Gee I like food!!

Reminds me I have to make Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes and Apple-Stuffed Acorn Squash for ours tonight.

Unashamedily CHICKEN, and Unashamedily BAPTIST!

#8 Friend of God, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey! We're a Baptist church and only have ONE pot luck a year! That's our annual dinner and it's a potluck for 650 people - does that make up for all of the others? LOL! What's nice is that people tend to bring their BEST dish since it's just once a year so the food is GOOD. Pastor also asks everyone to try to represent their nationality with their dishes so we get some cool food.

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I love potlucks! They are wonderful. The more of them the better.

And especially all of the desserts! :thumbs: I mean, you can have dessert...and then go and get another dessert!

And if you want you can just go ahead get 3 desserts all at once! :laugh: :laugh:

I'll tell you what...Moms and Grand-Moms sure know how to make some great desserts!

Did I mention that I love all of the desserts???

:godisgood:

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What's especially fun is those people who forget there was a potluck so they run out and get a bucket of KFC or Subway sandwiches! Makes me want to go interrupt announcements so the pastor forgets to remind everyone. As soon as he says "and don't forget we're having a..." I could always fall off my chair or something, and then when things get settled and he asks where he was, I could pipe up with "you were just saying not to forget we're having a missionary offering" and BAM! KFC at the potluck!

Hrm.

Desperation, desperation. ROFL

I really AM hungry! It's hot outside, I'm crabby, and cooking just seems out of the question. Quick, someone sent over a big pot o' sumptin! HA!

There are hot dogs and there is a grill, and I love hot dogs that have been burned to a crisp on the grill, so that's gonna be part of dinner. I'll survive until then. I *could* walk over to the fridge right now, but it's not the same as a potluck.

Speaking of which...I went to one potluck where this lady brought some kind of chicken. Whole pieces, and it tasted fried but it was baked and it was all yummy and she used corn flakes in the recipe. Anyone have a CLUE what that was, because I want to make it! It was in Ohio so I can't very well go back and find out. Although if I get desperate enough, I can email the church and say "hey, I used to go to your church before you were pastor, and I know it's a long shot, but there was this lady who made this chicken..."

:laugh:

12. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

She probably just used crushed corn flakes to coat it with instead of Shake 'n' Bake. I imagine she dipped it in milk and egg (beaten together) first. It's much healthier than buying a special coating, and it's much cheaper. :)
    How about a pot of snap beans, new potatoes, red onions, and cut-up hot dogs??? Better yet, come on over here and you can do the dishes!

13. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Gina, if you wanna stop over here we had Montreal Peppered Steak, Shrimpcakes with Citrus Mayonaise, Montreal Peppered Portabellos, Cilantro Potato Salad, and Double-Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake for dessert. We've got plenty left if you want to grab the kids and stop over. I'll even do the dishes, how's that? :thumbs:

14. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ain't a pounding a good thing? We have a pounding for new folk in town. Everyone brings a pound of a kitchen staple like flour, sugar or canned goods to church and then we go visiting.

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll contribute a big bowl of watermelon chunks.

16. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina, you're a hoot! Our church has potlucks fairly often. After all, we are BAPTIST! :laugh:
    Even our summer picnics bring in goooooooooood food! [​IMG]

17. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'll give you a reason. Go to http://www.fasola.org. Go to the "Singings" page. Scroll down to find a Sacred Harp group in Portland, or, for the rest of you, wherever you are. Go to the singing. You go sing for a couple of hours in the morning. Then you break for lunch. Out there it's potluck. Here in Tennessee and further south it's "covered dish". Whatever you call it, it will be good. Then you go back and sing for another couple of hours after lunch.

I went to Liberty Church in Henagar, Alabama, the first weekend in July. That's the church where they recorded the music in the movie Cold Mountain. There were about 250 singers and listeners. The tables were about forty feet long and loaded! The end of August I'm going to the Lookout Mountain Convention near Collinsville, Alabama. They have outdoor tables under a pavilion that are three feet wide and about sixty feet long, and they will be loaded. Then there's Bud Oliver's lemonade. They collect it right where it flows out of the rock. :laugh:

Are you hungry yet? The web site has maps and directions. I'll see you there.

Tim Reynolds

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm actually not hungry at all right now! I had to go cover a city meeting (I do some reporting) and then interview a guy afterward.

It was a catered event, and hardly anyone ate anything. So me and another guy started taking cups and plates and filling them with food to take home. ROFL Turned out the other guy was the one I was interviewing! Too funny...

I came home with two big plastic cups of shrimp, one of meatballs, two of grapes and strawberries, and a plate of cheese and a number of slices of herb crusted french bread looking things. The kids were busting up laughing because I emptied out my camera bag (big bag because it's my work camera) and had it filled with cups of food. :saint: