1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Toyota and the Union-Backed, Government-Led Witch Hunt

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Feb 17, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

What kind of car do you drive now?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you say. :laugh: But not by the government.

Your red herrings and strawmen aren't working out too well for ya, wanna go after the source?

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This is quite possibly the most nonsensical thing you have posted in quite some time. It was YOUR strawman, carpro. This concept of stealing a company by the shareholders was your point, not mine. As usual, you can't even get your catch phrases straight.

So is it okay when a company is stolen from the shareholders, except when it is done by the government?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. The subject of your allegations of theft of corporations by parties unknown doesn't interest me.

My Government stealing a corporation from it's debtors and shareholders, and using Chicago style strong arm tactics to do it, interests me a great deal. It's reprehensible and un- American.

Maybe you should start a thread to deal with K-Mart if that interests you so much.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Let's take a look at Brian Johnson's article:

Oh? What is the source for this "government-led and union-supported attack?" Nothing is cited here - just a statement of opinon.

Did any of the other auto manufacturers Johnson cites resist the recall? Did they handle this whole incident as poorly as Toyota did?

Those contracts are negotiated by union reps. and management. In other words, the management is culpable. Interesting that Johnson neglects to note this.

LaHood didn't publicly condemn Toyota - this is nonsense. Does he have any proof for his accusation of LaHood's motives, or is he simply making a statement and representing it as fact with no evidence?

Ah, yes: the private sector. The private sector is the answer to everything.......

6. Baptist in Richmond

So, I guess that is a yes?

So, is it only wrong when the government does it? It's a simple question, carpro.......

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Pontiac and a Ford F150.

What's your point?

P.S I almost forgot about my Cushman Eagle.

#27 carpro, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Good analysis, BIR. Hoping all is well with you and yours.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We don't always agree carpro, but I am with you on this one.

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'm in agreement with the OP as well.

And before anyone asks what sort of car I drive, I have both a Toyota and a Buick sitting in my driveway. Which one do I trust? The 20 year old Toyota with 180,000 miles on it that lost its entire front bumper and one of its headlights in a wreck last Thanksgiving.

The 7 year old Buick with only 82,000 miles on it, has had one problem after another since I bought the thing. Right now it has a dashboard full of warning lights, because evidently Buick can't make SENSORs that last longer than 5 minutes. (that is what the codes lead back to) Among the annoying problems the car has:

the driver's seat electric motor has stripped its gears
    there is a leak in the windsheild washer tank
    one of the comparment covers is broken and hangs open continuously

One of the sensors is above the gas tank, which would have to be lowered to replace it and mind you, it is the sensor that is bad, the car isnt' actually malfunctioning.

The other sensor is in the wheel hub and has been replaced THREE times (the entire hub because it is all one peice) and still malfunctions because the REAL problem seems to be in the wiring harnass and not the hub. GM KNEW there were problems with the hub, but instead of recalling them they "extended the warrenty".

The newest problem is the transmission slipping. I'm sorry, but I should not be having transmission problems on a car that only has 82,000 miles on it! The Toyota's tranmission doesn't slip.

The only GM product worth buying was Saturn(I've owned two of them). When they shut down that line, they lost my business. I have no plans to ever purchase another GM product.

Toyota however is high on my list of potential replacements for the hunk of GM junk sitting in my driveway, recalls or not.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny you mention Saturn. It's been the best compact car GM has made for the last 10 years.

They shut it down.

Go figure.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good! Given a choice, I'd always rather have you with me than against me. You are one of the most fairminded posters here.:thumbs:

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Whenever people driving popular model cars die in a crashes it becomes big news. Does anyone remember how big a news story the Ford Pinto became? When considering that was before cable news and the sensationalism type of reporting of today, I would say that was treated as a much bigger story than this one.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Sure was patriotic of all those union members to buy Toyotas and intentionally crash them so they could complain to the government.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sure was patriotic of all those union members to buy Toyotas and intentionally crash them so they could complain to the government.

Hey Bill, you would make a good propagandist for the UAW.