1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Traditional Adults/Contemporary Kids

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gib, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've noticed over the past 10-12 years that as adults in the traditional hymn singing churches, some really don't mind the occasional chorus. But, for most it would be okay if we didn't sing choruses at all. We tolerate the praise and worship choruses.

Maybe not your church, but, there are some of those churches that allow their children's music program to be filled with contemporary music. Much of the music they would not tolerate in the adult worship service is being taught to the children. We let them sing in the worship service and say to each other, "Oh, are'nt they so cute."
    They are, and they are also very impressionable.

We just finished up VBS. When I first heard the music, I thought of Michael Jackson's Thriller. Our pastor is 78 yrs old and strongly opposes anything outside the hymnal for the most part. However, he said he loved the VBS music. As the children sang a few of the songs from VBS on Sunday morning, I actually saw people clapping, patting the pews, moving their heads and stomping their feet. These are not actions they would take themselves while singing hymns or the occasional chorus.

Why are we teaching our kids music that we do not find acceptable in our worship services. If you cram praise and worship into them up to 5th grade, what kind of music will they want to listen to in the youth group. No wonder the youth are bored with just singing hymns. We've programmed them to be that way.

2. Molly

Molly New Member

Good point...what we allow in moderation,they could have as an excess later...we should be cautious.

I think there can be a time for lighter,more fun type music...vbs and summer camp is an example...as they grow older and mature in their faith,they will enjoy songs with more depth...the words will begin to mean something. As parents,that trianing is up to us,not our church. We teach our children at home to know the great hymns,understand the testimonies behind the writings of them....they have grown to love and appreciate them...they sing them more enthusiastically than little kids songs.

Our church has the children sing songs during eqiupping hour...some are choruses and also some shorter hymns. They have also had introduced to them some wonderful newer songs that are more biblical and in depth than most churches are doing during worhsip time. The key is teaching them to understand what they are singing about....worship of God is a serious thing,but fun is okay,too...at the appropriate times,of course.

Balance is key. But,please,no rock sounding music or Michael Jackson stuff...this would not be wise with impressionable children. :eek:

Molly

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

The music we used was from the Great Kingdom Caper. The title song is fast paced and my first thought was Michael Jackson. You're right that children are impressionable. So, why do we use that kind of music at all.

4. Molly

Molly New Member

That may be something you need to discuss with your elders.

Are you the music pastor of your church,why is that not under your authority?

Molly

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

It's much broader than that. This is a pattern for churches throughout. Much of the music used is put out quarterly from a Nat'l Christian Book Store. These churches are using the same folks to supply much of their Sunday School curriculum and other teaching resources.

I don't have a problem with the music our kids are singing. We balance hymns with praise songs and learning songs. Hopefully they are learning about music and developing a love for songs about God.

6. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

These people will be consumed in a holy fire of God's righteous anger. Scripture clearly demonstrates that clapping, patting pews, moving your head, stomping your feet or performing any action which expresses joy is false demonic worship. The sooner these idolatrous people meet their just judgement, the better! Hand clapping, did ya hear that?!!!? It's too late for repentance.

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

Boowha ha, ha, ha-ha! [​IMG]

8. Molly

Molly New Member

It's much broader than that. This is a pattern for churches throughout. Much of the music used is put out quarterly from a Nat'l Christian Book Store. These churches are using the same folks to supply much of their Sunday School curriculum and other teaching resources.

I don't have a problem with the music our kids are singing. We balance hymns with praise songs and learning songs. Hopefully they are learning about music and developing a love for songs about God.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh,I thought from your original post,you had some concerns about it.... :confused:

Molly

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

Not so much concern, but bewilderment as to why churches do such.