1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Traditional Baptist positions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alcott, Sep 30, 2007.

?
  1. Total abstinence from alcoholic beverages

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. No personal or business ‘work’ on Sundays except for “necessity and mercy'

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Proper church clothing should be coats & ties, or dresses at least mid-length

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Only non-divorced adult males should be ordained as ministers or deacons

24 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Smoking should be disallowed in the church, but in private it’s up to the individual

39 vote(s)
    52.7%
  6. Faithful members should give at least a tithe (10%) of income to the church

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  7. We should pray for the sick and injured, but be unsurprised if there is no ‘miracle’

46 vote(s)
    62.2%
  8. Government power should be used to suppress alcoholic beverages and gambling

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  9. The church should not look to government to promote its doctrines

58 vote(s)
    78.4%
  10. I don’t agree with any of these ‘traditional’ positions

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of these traditional Baptist positions do you agree with? One ‘position’ that may be impossible to get away from here is that if the voter sees even a slight difference from the way an option is stated that the way he or she has always perceived it may discount it. Therefore, avoid if possible being too particular like that, even if it is ‘Baptist’ to be so.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised that there are only four who voted for "smoking to be disallowed in church but in private......."

Or maybe because it's not clear if "disallowed" means that it is the church's position that smoking is taboo, or does "disallow" mean that in the pulpit it is the declared position, or "disallowed" means no smoking within church premises ?

I voted yes, with the understanding that "disallowed" means "not in church premises". Outside church premises ? Well, the member is welcome to smoke his/her lungs away, for all I care.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    about the smoking issue, I thought that it meant not allowing people to smoke on church property.
    However, after having lived in the South and preached in tobacco country, it isn't necessarily a Baptist tradition thta people can't smoke on church property.:BangHead:

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I know it must be difficult to frame the options properly for these polls - I have not yet started one myself - but I must say that I found this one particularly difficult to answer.

One of the options was:

Proper church clothing should be coats & ties, or dresses at least mid-length

If I tick that option, it seems as though I am saying that those particular items of clothing, ties, coats and mid-length dresses, must be worn to church services. If I don't tick the option, it could seem as though I think that "anything goes".

Another option was about smoking:
    Smoking should be disallowed in the church, but in private it’s up to the individual​

That is particularly difficult, because there are two factors. I might agree with one, but not the other. In fact that is the case here. I agree that smoking should be disallowed in church buildings (indeed that rarely is questioned here in the UK, even by non-Christians), but I do not agree that in private it is up to the individual. Do I tick this option or not, seeing as I agree with only half of it? Incidentally, here, the first part is not an option anyway, as since July, smoking has been illegal in all public buildings.

5. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

As far as the dress for church option, I don't think God cares what you wear just that your inn His House. I mean no cut-off that would be, oh well! you know what I mean. I'm not a coat & tie kinda guy. Never will be. I wear anything from my blue jeans and Harley Davidson T-shirt to a Polo shift and nice pants. Just my 2cents worth.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's very true. As a child, I had usually had to walk past a dozen or so deacons and Sunday School teachers trying to get in one last cigarette before they went inside.

In fifth grade Sunday School, the teacher (a smoker) was going off on his usual rant about how horrible it was to drink alcoholic beverages because it was like "drinking a bottle of poison." He explained that alcohol was extremely addictive and once you started with a drink, very few people could stop until they were completely intoxicated. :eek: He want on to explain that true Christians did not have sinful habits that could damage their health.

I asked if smoking was a sinful habit and you could have heard a pin drop. He hemmed and hawed and finally explained that smokers don't hang out in nightclubs or disgrace themselves by their actions. I asked if smoking could harm one's body or was addictive... and he decided to close the class in prayer. We got out of Sunday School a full 25 minutes early. :laugh:

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The only option I almost checked was the praying for a miracle option, as we always pray for healing - but are not dissapointed if physical healing does not take place for the individual as we may never know the miracles that take place in the family of the sick due to our ministry to the family or the Lord's work in that family.

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I only agreed with one, about the government promoting church doctrine. Others I am "ify" on. Most seem to be men's tradition and not the doctrines of GOd.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's what I meant. If you have done polls here, you may know that it's too easy to write an answer option that will keep the poll from being posted because it's too long, maybe by just a letter. So I try to state the option in the least words necessary; and occasionally the rather 'chopped' answer is the result of having to restate it in less words.

All I can say is don't read more than is there. For example, someone asked about the church clothing question; whether it means coats & ties or at least mid-length dresses must be worn to church. No-- that's not what it says and it's not what it means; just whether we agree that it's proper; Baptists not actually doing everything we consider proper is beside the point. [Ain't it?] :laugh:

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmm...not much I could vote for. It seems that most of these "positions" are based off of preferences. Not necessarily unwise preferences...but preference nonetheless.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only voted for:
    The church should not look to government to promote its doctrines.

Many of the other positions are either culturally derived (nothing wrong with that) or are matters personal convictions. To me a traditional Baptist position is one which is the same in California and in Ghana or is the same in 1607, 1707, 1807, 1907, and 2007.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well stated....that is the same one that I voted for.

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This poll made me laugh out loud. (No offense just repeating my action)

I voted for three (I think):

Faithful members should give at least a tithe (10%) of income to the church
    We should pray for the sick and injured, but be unsurprised if there is no ‘miracle’
    The church should not look to government to promote its doctrines

(I would have voted for the no smoking in the church thing...b/c I don't think smoking a sin issue...but I don't care if you smoke in the church.)

Just funny to me how many of the above list are issues that only Christians are keeping score on. The unchurched don't care...and frankly our belief and position on them has discreditted us. I died to dressing a certain way years ago because what is one man's casual is another man's dressy and frankly Jesus never wore a suit and tie so the norm hasn't been established.

I'd be interested in seeing less a preferences poll and more a baptist theological distinctives poll with really good questions. :)

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I'm thinkng 2 or 3 years in the past for this board, but I am surprised the clothing issue vote is so low, and I thought the total abstinence from alcohol option would be about 50-50. Perhaps my experience is more limited than I realized, coming from small and medium sized Southern Baptist churches in east and west Texas. But all these 9 statements seemed to be the prevalent concepts in all these churches until about the mid-80's or later, and they have been staunchly defended on this board, though perhaps by a vocal minority; other than the 'government promotion of doctrine' and 'praying for the sick and injured.' Also I think every church I have attended, up until my present one, did preach against allowing alcohol sales and parimtuel wagering, including using the vote to suppress these activities.

You are free to post such a poll ;) .

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The only one I voted for: The church should not look to government to promote its doctrines.

16. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

There are lots more that could be on that list.

One biggie.

If you have personal devotions every day, you will be more sipritual.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false?

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The point about the church not looking to the government to promote its doctrines means that we are not a Christian nation and never have been. Christians have been in government (e.g. Jimmy Carter) but the government cannot be Christian. I agree with this since it's consistent with our freedom to believe whatever we choose as individuals.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Murder and theft are not only opposed to 'our' beliefs [ain't they?], but 'we' are in favor or using government power to suppress them. Then how about using profanity on radio communcations, against FCC regulations (if you use radio in your business, you know about this)? Then the gambling and alcohol sales topic... then what's left of "blue laws" forbidding sales of automobiles (in Texas) or certain other products on 'consecutive Saturdays and Sundays'... then tax exemptions for contributions to churches, then property tax exemptions for churches....

20. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I would just like to know why these positions have to be labeled as "Traditional Baptist " ?

I was saved after reading the NT for one whole week. No one from any denomination came to my door. After my salvation I began to throw away CD's and books. I started looking at what I was wearing and I took the liquor in the fridge and poured it down the drain.

Not because of Baptist positions but because of Biblical ones that God showed me before I ever knew of or set foot in a Baptist church.

I became a Baptist because it was lining up with what I was reading in the Bible. I guess my question would be why aren't these Traditional Christian positions because they line up with God's word ?