1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Traditional Change

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is "bobbed hair"? :confused:

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh pity the woman that rides a bicycle while wearing pants!

That would be an abomination of abominations! :eek:

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I remember when women could not wear any make up or jewelry. At the same time, the pastor who preached against what women could wear, wore fancy cuff links and necktie pins.

I also remember one short pastor that used a heavy dose of hair spray to make his hair stand up so he would look taller; he also wore elevated shoes to make him look taller. The joke was that we were afraid he would fall off his heels and break his hair.

#24 drfuss, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Square dancing was also frowned upon, but I did notice that one of the Phys Ed Classes was called Rhythmic Exercise. There were no mixed classes, though. Looked like dancing to me.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A friend of mine once belonged to a church that was established in the early 1800's(1810-20?), and they are still functioning today. One time they were reading some old minutes, and in 1855(think that was the date), they excluded a member because he/she was seen walking with a FW baptist member. Some things, do indeed, need to change.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If they danced in circles, would that have been acceptable? :laugh:

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

About 15 years ago the pastor of the church we were members of in FL discovered that the Church By-laws forbade African-Americans from membership. And we already had some who were members. That By-law was promptly, publicly, and unanimously voted out of existence.

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Dancing was forbidden, but there weren't many dances in the community anyway so not a big deal.

The big thing was bare skin: no mixed bathing; no shorts of any kind.

Some movies were OK as long as you didn't go on Sunday, but most were off limits completely.

I heard that going to the horse races was off limits but, like dances, it was no big deal because I didn't know anyone who had ever been to the races.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Since only women were in the class, and the exercise steps were pretty tame (nothing erotic or provocative), so everything was okay.

Come to think of it, they may have danced in a circle.

12. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Traditional Change

It would be of interest to note all of the things that were considered sin in the early part of the twentieth century that today seemingly are no longer frowned upon and in most cases ignored or accepted.

Whatever is not faith is sin. This shows that sin is a condition of the heart, not so much calling this or that sinful acts.

13. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

I remember 80% of the deacons standing outside the area between the education building and the sanctuary smoking cigarettes and pipes.
    I can't remember the last time I heard a sermon on alcohol, yet my mother who is her 80s became upset when my brother, who finally married after being a bachelor for years, converted to denomination because they allowed drinking. ( Nothing on the other of the churches' doctrines.)

I can even remember some of the deacons becoming upset because the teenagers didn't wear "oil" in their hair. It was a sin and they just want to "look good for the girls." Well, yeah...:)

#33 govteach51, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  14. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Heaven no you could not circle dance--that was stuff like the two step round and round the Legion Hall floor, and don't ask me how I know.

I think square dancing was ok because all in the community joined in on it.

So you had old geezers and geezerettes and middle aged and young folk and kiddoes all on the floor every set.

Grandpa might be dancing partnered with a five year old granddaughter and grandma might be dancing with an adolescent boy.

Somehow we managed usually to avoid those potentially romantical pairings.

Thought of another one: things like the Scofield Bible and even the Thompson Chain Reference were frowned upon. Common folks could not afford them, but I pity the preacher who carried an ADULTERATED copy of the Word of God.