1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Traditions of the Elders

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the TRADITION OF THE ELDERS. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other TRADITIONS, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.)

So, the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the TRADITION OF THE ELDERS instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”

He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely HUMAN RULES.’ You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to HUMAN TRADITIONS.”

Jesus continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe TRADITIONS OF MEN. For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God) then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. Thus, you nullify the Word of God by your TRADITIONS HANDED DOWN.”
    [Mark 7]

Many of us Fundamentalists have been infected with "TRADITONS OF THE ELDERS", that is, rules, standards, practices that were accepted/promoted by a previous generation but are not given or implied in the Word of God. Some are relatively harmless and more of "preference" or "we've always done it this way". Others are spiritually dangerous, leading some to follow such man-made ideas as a measure or a means of supposed godliness.

We should be able to look at these traditions oft-promoted in Fundamental Baptist circles and laugh or weep. And maybe learn from open discussion on how such TRADITIONS OF MEN have harmed the Fundamentalist movement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We don't dance or drink or chew
    Or date the girls that do."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

We only use the real bible, Kjv, and we hold to only pre trib pre mil, rest get burned at the stake!"

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church traditions NOT in the Bible to bemoan or chuckle at found in many Baptist churches:
    [these are not all BAD; they have just become a habit passed on by tradition of the elders]

Communion only 1st Sunday of Month
    Communion using Welchade and oyster crackers
    Sunday Worship at 11 am
    Sing verses 1,2, and 4 of each song (ignore the ophan v. 3)
    Pass the plate offering by the 'Hushers'
    National flag on platform and singing patriotic songs
    Week of Evangelistic Meetings each Fall
    Mission Conference each Spring
    Hand-raising at invitation, never during singing or prayer
    Coats/Ties for men, dresses for women

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three to thrive.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three wives? Three Chevy's? Three Bibles? Three tithes? ;) ;)

Inquiring minds ...

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tithes??

and when it comes to Men wearing coat and ties and women only wearing dresses - isnt that found in Hezekiah? 6th chapter???

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I support the Welch's grap juice law. It just tastes holy.....not like jucy juice. :Wink

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Visited a church recently and they use grape flavor-aid (too cheap to even use real Kool-Aid), an Confd stale saltines. Truly hard to feel spiritual about such.

But still closer than the Youth Conference in San Diego in 1971 where they served Pizza and Pepsi . . . for real.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they wanted to just use common elements of everyday life (their claim to why Jesus used "stuff on hand" during Passover), then they should have had milk and wonder bread. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Get your convictions from the Bible and stand by them. We ask...350 Sunday school teachers, 95 deacons, 115 ushers—to agree to this pledge: (1) Do you know you are saved? (2) Will you live a separated Christian life? (3) Will you be faithful to the stated services of the church—Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night? (We elect no one who would not promise to attend all three services. I use my motto "Three to Thrive".)" — Lee Roberson

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....I guess pizza and Pepsi may be closer to the idea of the early church coming together, but it just doesn't seem right.

While I was joking about Welch's grap juice, every time I drink it memories of the Lord's Supper spring to my mind.

With covid we get pre-packaged cups with juice and a wafer as we come in the door (when we have the Supper).

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assumed it was some famous BBF type like Jack Hyles, Tom Malone, John R Rice, Bob Gray, et al. But disheartened that he didn't make it "Seven fit for Heaven"

1. Sunday School
    2. A.M. Worship
    3. Training Union
    4. P.M. Service
    5. Mid-Week Bible Study
    6. Thursday Soul Winning
    7. Saturday Bus Calling

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expensive, but I've used those when taking mission trips, Israel trips, etc.

My son pastors in Obamaland with horrific Covid regs on churches. They STILL have to have "individually packaged" juice and wafer.

BUT they are an inner-city mission church so have ladies meet ahead to time and put caps on little medicine cups of "mystery juice" and break up crackers and wrap in saran wrap - all by hand, touching and coughing on the elements.

AND then they pass them on trays down the rows with people touching everything

OBEY the letter of the government overreach mandate, while dissing the spirit of the so-called law

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serious question - for those who worked during one or more of those times - is working a valid excuse or would that be sufficient to not offer a position?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    “If a man's business requires so much of his time that he cannot attend the services of his church, then that man has more business than God intended him to have.”—J. C. Penney

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs Salty works at the hospital and her schedule has her working every other Sunday.
    Would she qualify to hold a position?

18. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully agree. I think a lot of churches have painted themselves in the corner. They have held people captive to leagalism. If they admit that even the stupidest of their traditions are wrong, their entire house of cards will fall

19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what Penney meant. I also know that some of the most legalistic about not working on Sunday sure love to eat in restaurants on Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I don't necessarily agree with Mr. Penney. I just like the quote.

• Agree Agree x 1