1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Transcript of chapel sermon by Rev. Dwight McKissic given at SWBTS

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Sep 3, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/

Transcript of chapel sermon by Rev. Dwight McKissic
    Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
    August 29, 2006

Good morning:

I’m delighted to be here today to share in this chapel service and, it reminds me, Dr. Patterson, when I came to Southeastern I went looking for a stoic and staid worship service, and it was much alive out there. And I have really appreciated this group of singers today, and that musician – we are looking for a pianist at my church and I want to talk to you afterwards and see if you’re looking for a job. Don’t go away because I need to see you before it’s over today.

I’m grateful for this opportunity to share today and I’m honored and privileged to serve as a trustee of Southwestern. I want to address a subject matter today. When I was asked to come and I asked the Lord about what he wanted me to share, he laid upon my heart a subject matter that took me many, many years in a pastorate to get a handle on. And I trust that this will help some of you who are probably also searching and grappling to get a handle on a subject that I want to address today. So I ask for your prayers as I deliver a message that I believe God has led me to share today.

I invite your attention to Acts chapter one, verse 5. Now I preached twelve minutes last time, so that means ya’ll owe me about thirty minutes today. Acts chapter one, verse five:

The words of Jesus.

He says, “For John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

I want to talk about the baptism and the filling of the Holy Spirit. There are seven passages in the New Testament which speak specifically of the baptism with the Spirit. Five of these passages refer to the baptism with the Spirit as a feature event. Four were spoken by John the Baptist (Mt 3:11; Mk 1:7-8; Lk 3:16; and Jn 1:33). One was spoken by Jesus after his resurrection. We just read it in this text, Acts 1:5. The expression “you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit” means that this action was to take place at one particular time.

The KJV tells us that this event was to take place “not many days hence.” John the Baptist and Jesus referred to the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a future, historical event. The sixth time we see this phrase “baptized with the Holy Spirit” is in Acts 11:16, referring to the baptism in the Spirit as a fulfilled promise.

The rest of the sermon is at http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Decide for Yourself

2. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Bravo. Thanks for finding and posting this. I thought it was pretty slimy of them to pull it from the web. I knew someone would see that and post it publicly eventually.

Guess what? More people will listen and read this sermon than ever, ever, ever would have if it had just been left on the net by SW Sem.

#2 ACADEMIC, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cant believe it has had this much attention