1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Transferring Data - HELP!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Nov 19, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I need to transfer my data from my old computer to my new computer and I don't have a clue where to start.

My local server will do it for $60.00. Is there a cheaper way???

My new computer is a refurbished one and it didn't even come with a book! After looking at the new keyboard, I think I am going to need a book just to figure out how to use that!

Would the easiest way be to email my files etc. to the new computer since I am computer challenged?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    [​IMG] §ue

2. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue, do you have a writable CD-ROM drive on your computer? It is very simple to save all your info on a couple of CDs. [​IMG]

You can do it also the hard way, like saving them on floppies and transfer them that way. Except large pictures.... those you can email it for you from the old computer and receive them on your new computer. There are many ways to do it, I have done them all. [​IMG]

3. Brett

Brett New Member

Yeah, it depends on how much data you need to tranfer. If you only have 2 or 3 gigabytes worth of stuff to transfer, burning the stuff onto CDs would be far more economical. But if you're transferring your entire hard disk, and it's big, it would probably be far less hassle to just pay the $60 for them to mirror it.

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Does the $60 include getting the programs transferred and functioning, too?

If so... $60 is cheap.

I've done this evolution for many friends and it has always taken a long time... And, there have always been glitches.

If you are talking just raw data, though.

Then, with CDR-R/w Drives in the $50-$60 range anyway it might be a good idea to go ahead and buy a good one now.

I do advise if you are going to go buy a CD Burner to make sure that Roxio either comes with it or supports it.

Nero Burning is great. But, not all that user friendly.

If Roxio's Easy CD Creator (Basic) comes with the drive you should be able to copy all the stuff off yourself and have a great back-up device for later, too.

Those of us who are techies will do what we can to help, remotely, of course.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

If both of them have network cards its easy

Otherwise, a serial cable and laplink will work, probably cheaper than 60 bucks, but much more pain and suffering, after all, I assume we are talking microsoft here, so any form of networking is painful, since it was an afterthought

the CDRW is definately good if you are just moving data.

What about USB? that is another option for connecting them up.

6. grandpa

grandpa New Member

Consider taking the hard drive out of the old computer and installing it in the new (referbished) one as the D: drive. Then all your data is readily available. If you have plans for the old computer you can always transfer what you want, then move the drive back to the old computer.

grandpa