1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Translate, Literally Translate or Transliterate.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Nov 21, 2022.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism is transliteration. Washing is a translation. Immersion is litereral translation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    William Carey and his translation teams always translated. One of them, Nathan Brown, later went to Japan and was on the committee of the Motoyaku (元訳, "first translation"), the first Japanese complete Bible effort. He insisted they translate, but the Presbyterian-led team refused and transliterated instead, so he started his own effort. His Japanese NT, translating as 浸礼 ("immersion ceremony"), was the first complete Japanese NT translation.

The Lifeline Japanese NT (ライフライン訳新約聖書) is thus only the second Japanese NT to actually translate the word.

When my team was contemplating this rendering, I took the problem here on this forum, and I'm pretty sure the consensus was to translate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some other common words that are transliterated in the Bible:
    • Adam
    • Angel
    • Cherubims (lol - a double plural in KJV)
    • Christ
    Rob

• Like Like x 1