1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Translation Homework Assignment

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Translate this small portion of the 1611KJV preface.

1. Read the context of the passage (understand what you are translating).
    2. Know your audience, today’s average Joe, (or Ed, if you please).
    3. Correct the spelling as needed.
    4. Use modern spoken English (no –th’s at the end of words).

If we have enough responses I will make a poll later so we can vote on who provided the most understandable translation.

Rob

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I took a stab at it though I found the last part difficult and I'm not sure I understood it correctly. I did not have much time for this so I only took about 15 or 20 minutes to do it.

Greek -- like a shining light or a loud shout in the street heard by everyone -- was the best language for the Bible, both for the first preachers of the gospel, and for those who in early times studied and searched the scriptures, testing their Christian life by it. Translation of the Bible was not perfect and needed correction, and who was more equipped for this than the Apostles or those who followed them? But it seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to them and, rather than making a new translation in the early days of the Church, thus exposing themselves to accusations of acting frivolously, they chose to take what they found – which seemed for the most part true and sufficient – and let that be their witness.

#2 Marcia, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ran into the same problems with the phasing at the end.

Here is my stab at it.

Therefore the word of God was translated from the Hebrew language into the Greek (in the Septuagint) and it became like a candle in a candle stand, giving light to all in the house,
    it was like an announcement at the mall, most people hear it;

The Greek language was a very appropriate medium for the Scriptures. The first preachers of the gospel used it for a witness and students at the time used it to search and verify the truth.

We all know that the translation was not faultless or perfect, it needed correction in many places;
    And who else would have been able to perform that task of correction better than the Apostles or the other New Testament writers?
    Yet in the new Church era, it seemed good to the holy Spirit and them to use what they had, rather than make a new version.
    For some might say a new version would serve the purpose of the authors and was devised to support their cause, they might disregard the message for this reason,
    and it would also expose them to many frivolous and pesky objections.
    After all, the Septuagint was for the most part truthful and satisfactory.

Rob

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, Rob, I think you win the contest!

I just thought of this - if anyone else tries this excercise, they could peek at our answers and get hints on their translation! :eek:

5. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I like both of the previous translations. Mine is a paraphrase really --
    We, the king's revisors along with many other reasonable people, have taken significant notice that enlightening, yet flawed Greek translations (of the ancient Hebrew text), were not revised by the authorized Apostolic writers, perhaps to avoid unnecessary and distracting criticism during the early growth period of Christ's Church; thus, our Spirit-led Forefathers regarded those 'Septuagints' a convenient and sufficient form of God's genuine written revelation.​

#5 franklinmonroe, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008