1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Treadmill Inventor William Staub Dies at 96

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His longevity and ability to still use the treadmill at 96 is telling of the importance and benefits in keeping oneself moving. Ever been on a treadmill? If you haven't it is likely that someday you will be for heart stress test.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Glad he took something cruel (though some would say it still is) and made it something useful

Treadwheels were often used in prisons as a form of punishment.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Makes me want to get on mine right now, but I have to leave for work in 30 minutes!

(I'll do it when I get home.....)

(I don't get on it like I should, but at least I don't hang clothes on mine. :laugh: )

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

The British penal system used this as device of pointless tedium and torture for those within the system. The inventor was the British civil engineer, Sir William Cubitt in 1817.

The prisoners would be forced into exceedingly long hours on the things and as they wore prison issue clothing....constructed of harsh material such as canvas with nothing between that and their skin, the abrading nature of the material added to the agony of the endless treadmill. Oh, I forgot....they were also shackled, with the abrading of skin that needed to be endured.

Their coaches/supervisors would flog the soul who collapsed if the machine did not kill them.

......and people use this device for fun and recreation!!!!:laugh:

Apologies to C4K....posted this before I saw your link.

#4 Melanie, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God knows the number of hairs on your head, he surely knows the number of heart beats in your life.

Why use them up running on a treadmill?

Rob

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haha, yeah, yeah, but actually I was reading an article a while back (wish I could remember where, maybe it'll come back to me) that discussed the theory of having a certain set number of heart beats and then did the math to compare by adding the elevated HR during exercise and subtracting the difference in the lowered resting heart rate because of having better conditioned heart and concluded that one would live 3-5 years longer on the same amount of beats if living an aerobically fit lifestyle. So now what?!? :D