1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Treasure Hunts?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by TheThinker, Jan 20, 2011.

1. TheThinker

TheThinker New Member

I know many are familiar with the Way of the Master. A good complementary evangelism approach I have seen in the last few years is called treasure hunting. It makes it really fun and exciting as well as deepens trust in God. For me one of the biggest obstacles is knowing who to talk to and then simply getting the guts to go and talk to them. But with this method you simply pray before going out and write down any clues God gives you and then when you see the person you know it's who God wants you to talk to and that makes it a lot easier. So much fun for them too because they see the list of clues and can know that God loves them so much he would give people clues about him/her and send them to him.

Here is a link to the book with good examples and ideas of how to implement it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0768426022/?tag=baptis04-20

Does anyone else have experience with this?

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your zeal, but I don't think it's necessary or, to be honest, Biblical, to wait for God to direct you to a specific person. He's given us enough principles in His Word to show us how and when to worship that I don't think it's a good idea to rely on extra-Biblical "prompting".

Not trying to throw water on your fire, but why not just be prepared to talk to anyone?

3. TheThinker

TheThinker New Member

That's a good point, Jesus said to preach the gospel to all creation. So we need to be ready to share with everyone. But reading the gospels it seems a lot like Jesus followed promptings and for example walked straight to the man in Solomon's Colonnade who had been waiting 38 years to be healed. He knew who was ready and needed a word from heaven to set them free. Or in a larger sense Paul followed the Holy Spirit to witness in Macedonia instead of Asia. It seems biblically natural in the life of a believer to follow God's leading.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board! :wavey:

I agree. It is Biblical to go to be always ready to give an answer for the hope within you (1 Pet. 3:15), and it is Biblical to pray to be lead to a certain person, like Jesus did when he suddenly needed to go through Samaria to win a certain oft-married woman (John 4).

I believe that any method of witnessing that is ethical and honest is the right one. The Apostle Paul rejoiced even when some were doing dishonest evangelism (Phil. 1:18).