1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Treasury Study Refutes 'Income Inequality' Hokum

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Nov 14, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010855

Movin' On Up
    A Treasury study refutes populist hokum about "income inequality."

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:01 a.m. EST

If you've been listening to Mike Huckabee or John Edwards on the Presidential trail, you may have heard that the U.S. is becoming a nation of rising inequality and shrinking opportunity. We'd refer those campaigns to a new study of income mobility by the Treasury Department that exposes those claims as so much populist hokum.

OK, "hokum" is our word. The study, to be released today, is a careful, detailed piece of research by professional economists that avoids political judgments. But what it does do is show beyond doubt that the U.S. remains a dynamic society marked by rapid and mostly upward income mobility. Much as they always have, Americans on the bottom rungs of the economic ladder continue to climb into the middle and sometimes upper classes in remarkably short periods of time.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The class warfare democrats love to propagate is not exactly what they make it out to be.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

What you expect from the WSJ?

income statistics don't mean squat. Wealth and poverty should be measured in work hours. How many work hours would be necessary for the average person and the median person to live in a 1000 sq foot house, buy food, clothing, and pay taxes?

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know about you all, but I been working my behind thin since I got to this country and I still don't have a bulging bank account, and the rungs in the "ladder" seem to be spaced too far apart, and getting spaced out farther with rising gas costs and stagnated wages.

Still and all, I am able to buy what I need, but that's only because it's just me and the wife living together.

Ain't got no kids to send to school.

Makes me wonder about how my neighbors make ends meet, you know.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When they cite statistics and sources for them, I expect them to be accurate...

and they are.