1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tree of Life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Here are some thoughts I would like for you to ponder and answer for me if you will. When Christ appeared unto the disciples, he said, "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."
    Now we know that scripture teaches us that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, but here is Christ in a body consisting of flesh and bones.
    In the Book of the Acts He ascended back unto the Father as his disciples gazed upon Him.
    IOW, He did not drop His physical body.
    King David believed that we would be resurrected with a body likened unto Christ, i.e. "I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness."

When Elijah was carried away in a chariot, he did not leave his physical remains behind, although the sons of the prophets asked Elisha for permission to go search.
    When Enoch was translated he did not leave his physical remains behind, else they would have said Enoch died and they would have buried his corpse.

#21 Cutter, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The change from the physical to the eternal happens in an instant, even as often is the case of the forming of an intent in an instant preceding a crime. Certainly many if not all spiritual bodies can at times take on the form of human flesh…….but human flesh does not walk through walls or suddenly disappear without undergoing a definite change, or ride on fiery chariots as did Elijah into heaven. At that point, is it ‘flesh’ as we know it? If it was mere flesh Elijah would have burnt up or died of a lack of oxygen seconds into the flight. Flesh and blood cannot inhabit the eternal according to Scripture and reason without undergoing a drastic change 2Co 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This scripture says it all. IMO

Rom 8:11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

When you were "born again", the inward part was changed right then, with the promise of a fleshly change in the resurrection from the same "being born again".

Job 19:26And [though] after my skin [worms] destroy this [body], yet in my flesh shall I see God:

The "Tree of Life" was and is Jesus, the only name given under Heaven that a man might be saved.
    There is no such thing as the soul being saved and the flesh left to rot forever.

Rom 8:21Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Also, Means that something has already been delivered and that something is going to be delivered.

BBob,

4. Outsider

Outsider New Member

I agree Brother Bob.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - the Tree of Lilfe is real as Rev 22 points out.

Jesus is "real" and really ate food.

We will be "real" in heaven.

And we will "really eat from the real tree of life".

in Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Real tree - real food eaten by real people in Gen 2.

Real tree in a real place in Rev 22 -- where the Throne of God is.

Gen 3 says that without it man could not eat and live forever.

Literally true.

In Gen 3 our very "real God" says that He placed a real Angel at the real entrance to the real Garden of Eden (Garden created by God in a REAL 7 day week) barring the way to the real tree of life so that real people would not eat of the real fruit of the real tree of life and really live forever.

I am good with that -- how about you?

in Christ,

Bob

#26 BobRyan, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now here you're on a good subject. The mysteries of the resurrected body of which Christ is the first fruit. After his resurrection other saints were seen flaunting their resurrected bodies. This means we have hope.

Christ ate fish in this body but he also walked through a closed door. Did he eat to be social or did he eat because he was hungry? Is the resurrected body flesh and bones? Excellent question... Does its heart pump blood or does its lungs breath air? One of those things we'll understand better in the by and by. I will say it is not flesh as we know it today.

More great questions that I can't answer but I will toss this in. Did Enoch and Elijah go to heaven? If so, what is the place Jesus went to prepare?

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good point, this verse says the mortal body will be quickened (changed). The mystery is from what to what... We normally say from time to eternity but I still believe Adam was born in time.

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

The Tree of Life was Jesus??? The Tree of Life is Jesus??? The tree of life had bark, Jesus had skin. The tree of life photosynthesized, Jesus ate and breathed.

This kind of handling of scripture leads to all kinds of crazy ideas.

Eisegesis (from the Greek εἰσηγεῖσθαι; 'to lead in') is the process of interpretation of an existing text in such a way as to introduce one's own ideas. This is best understood when contrasted with exegesis. While exegesis draws out the meaning from the text, eisegesis occurs when a reader reads his/her interpretation into the text.

Actually "also" means that animals (the creature) will be delivered from corruption in addition to us. All of creation is under the curse that will be delivered.

Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body."

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, you believe that animals are going to have bodies of immoratality also. You err bad to not know that it is talking about the creation of man.

4Ezra.6
    1. [47] Upon the fifth day thou saidst unto the seventh part, where the waters were gathered that it should bring forth living creatures, fowls and fishes: and so it came to pass.
    2. [49] Then didst thou ordain two living creatures, the one thou calledst Enoch, and the other Leviathan;
    3. [54] And after these, Adam also, whom thou madest lord of all thy creatures: of him come we all, and the people also whom thou hast chosen.
    There is plenty more if you like?

Acts.4
    1. [12] Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
    Rev.22
    1. [2] In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
    2. [14] Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
    If they eat of the "Tree of Life" they would of lived forever according to scripture.
    BBob,

#30 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1Cor.15
    1. [53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
    2. [54] So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
    1Cor.15

1. [44] It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
    BBob,

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

:)

HP: Since when did bark give eternal life?? 'Bark' all you want to, but I for one derive my eternal life from the Tree of Life, Jesus Christ…..(and I am certain in reality you do as well!) :)

HP: You are right, but have it wrong about what it is that the crazy ideas consist of. What is crazy is that one could even entertain that something with bark could be the source of their eternal life and hope. What is crazy is that one could even suggest that eternal life could be found in the mere bark and shadow, and not in the Actual Type, Christ alone. He (Jesus Christ) is our Hope and Life giver, not some tree with bark. He alone gave life to Adam and Eve and will be the only hope and life of the last person to walk the face of this planet. Let me go on record in support of Brother Bob.:thumbs: Jesus Christ IS the Tree of Life. Anything with bark was nothing more than a shadow of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He IS The great I Am. He is the ONLY hope of life and hope.

On this issue, I count it a privilege to be thought of as entertaining crazy ideas like Brother Bob. :thumbs:

#32 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 19, 2008
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True -- Adam and Eve were not walking around the Garden of Eden munching on Jesus nor where they asking Jesus to save them should they some day sin.

But they DID have the Tree of Life -- literally -- in the literal Garden.

And then in Gen 3 we see a real angel at the real entrance to the real garden so that humans could not gain access to the real tree of life as God really said.

Indeed - it ignores "the details" of the text.

in Christ,

Bob

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

So many things have been posted on this thread that document the similarities and spiritual connections....I dont know how anyone can miss it.

None of us are saying that the tree of life WAS Christ...only that it was a "type". And a beautiful one, at that.

Mike

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I am still waiting for the inspiration of this thread to weigh in (DHK) and give us his take. How about it DHK? Is Christ the Actual Type of the shadow of the Tree of Life?

HP: Amen. :thumbs: Just the same in common parlance, the reality of the shadow (in this case the reality of the bark:) ) is the “type” is it not? For instance, cannot it be said that Christ IS the Bread of Life, He IS the Living Water, etc.?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I find it hard to speak of Christ and not speak of Wisdom, Rock, Lamb, Tree of Life, Water of Life, Living Water, Heavenly Manna, Chief Corner Stone, etc. He could be in many forms, but it was Him. IMO

BBob,

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Did you ever notice!

Something different about this "Tree of Life", it was in the midst of them that came from the ground, as in the midst of the seven golden candle sticks, I saw one liken unto the son of man. So was the tree of Knowledge different, it also was in the "midst" of the trees that came out of the ground. I think that has a special meaning. IMO

"in the midst" was when the 3 Hebrews were in the furnace. To me there is a "special" meaning to "in the midst"... Just me I guess, but have always thought of it, especially in the Garden of Eden.

BBob,

#37 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2008
  18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: After all that has been said on the subject, would you believe it to be reasonable to at least accept ‘the possibility’ that the Tree of Life might in fact be a type of Christ?

19. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I guess it could be, but as I said before, I have no scripture that supports it. Many types and shadows are explained such as the passover lamb. You guys just must be smarter than me. I don't understand how someone can say Jesus IS the Tree of Life since scripture never does like it does with the passover lamb. If you want to say he is kind of like the Tree of Life I would agree. I think it is just very clear that the tree of life was an actual tree with leaves, possibly fruit and yes, bark.

Would you say Noah's ark was a type of Christ? Would you say the ark was Christ?

Quote:
    D28Guy: None of us are saying that the tree of life WAS Christ...only that it was a "type". And a beautiful one, at that.

Actually if you read the posts you will see that some have said the tree of life is Christ.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I did, in one of the many forms He came in.

Jhn 6:51I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Gen 3:22¶And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

BBob,

#40 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2008