1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tri-lingual wedding??????

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by annsni, Oct 20, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we just met with a couple for their first premarital counseling session. We know the bride relatively well - hubby married her mom and step-dad and we were there for step-dad's passing a few months ago. Hubby did his funeral. Now this young lady is getting married to a nice young man.

However, she's from Brazil. All of her relatives speak Portugese. He's from Honduras. All of his relatives speak Spanish. They do have friends who speak English and neither of the other languages.

Can we say that this will be interesting to coordinate??? ROTFL!

2. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like a valid tongue-talking experience is in order!!

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ROTFL!!! Oh my gosh - so true!!!

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh my. LOL

Are there screens in the church? That way the bride and groom can have the wedding done out loud in the language they use to communicate to each other and powerpoint used to put up the words in the written languages of the other two groups represented. That will also take care of having to have an interpreter because you KNOW at least one will also be hard of hearing or deaf and the signer for a trilingual group is going to pass out and die on the spot if they try that one! :eek:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL Gina - I know!! So we were thinking about having some of the people write out what they are going to say and either put it up on the screen or into the program. I was joking around that they will be the only ones with a program the size of a short novel. :)

6. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

I co-teach a multi lingual, multi-cultural Sunday School class. One of my favorite couples is in a similar mode. The husband is Thai, the wife is Korean, English is their common language.

By the way our potluck fellowships are incredible.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done bi-lingual weddings where the groom was chinese and the parents only spoke chinese. It was a little weird at first with someone telling the parents what I was saying while I was saying it. :tongue3:

I can imagine. I heard Anthony Bourdain say once that as soons as 'foreigners' move into a neighborhood, the quality of food always improves as they interact with 'native' food!

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Pretty interesting set up. Wow.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sounds like personal FM transmitters/receivers might be one answer.