1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tri-State Baptist College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Craigbythesea, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I found the following quote at the top of the list in the “position” of an IFB “college” (Tri-State Baptist College):

“Verbal Inspiration & Divine Preservation of the Scriptures in the King James Bible”

It was listed above the

• The Trinity
    • Deity of Jesus Christ
    • The Virgin Birth of Christ

and 14 addition positions—the last on the list was the “Santification” of the Believer—and yes, that’s the way they spelled it! :D

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Craig,

Are you looking to get a degree there?

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know anything about this school, but will comment on what you've posted.
    I personally don't think it is unusual to put one's "Bible" position ahead of all the others. All of the other doctrines, in theory at least, are derived from the Bible. IMO, there are two foundational doctrines - that God is, and that He has revealed Himself through His Word, the Bible.
    Could mean a lot of things - they are bad spellers, bad proofreaders, in too big a hurry, sloppy, don't care, etc. Is this one mistake in a million, or one of many more? It seems that our spelling in general is going downhill, maybe partly in proportion to how much we use e-mail and bulletin boards!

4. Craigbythesea

No, I already have so many letters after my name that I can't remember what they all mean. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. Britney

Britney New Member

is this the Tri-state in Walls, Mississippi?

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Britney, I think that must be correct. I found a couple by googling, but the data on their (TSBC in Walls) position page matches the information in the original post, including the misspelling of "sanctification".

http://www.tristatebaptistcollege.com/

7. Craigbythesea

Yes.

[​IMG]

8. Casey

Casey New Member

-nod- I personally think it's a great school. Even though I'm only 14, I've spent a few days there at their annual College Days, and I even have a few friends that attend there. In my opinion, it's a great Bible college.

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Has anybody looked at the faculty and where they were educated?

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

No, I already have so many letters after my name that I can't remember what they all mean. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you preening and posing?

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah! A man of your pretensions should have more worthwhile things to do than to spoof and ridicule some sincere, honest people who are not on your level of purported sophistication and implied intellectual attainments.

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

They're homegrown but they're not exactly giving out doctorates either. The degree inflation appears to be less here than at some other places. From my brief visit to their web site, they seem to be a residential program instead of distance ed.

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

IMO Bibliology logically precedes other doctrines . But I do not agree that the KJV is inerrant.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I think many others said most of what needed to be said......... [​IMG]

I just wanted to add that I've seen simpler words misspelled on the websites of major corporations, ones who you would think would have everything down just perfect.

Typos happen.

15. whatever

whatever New Member

Did they list any subtraction positions?

Unfortunately many of us are better at division than we are at multiplication.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Craig,

I couldn't find the school you were referencing.

Could you post a link to the page?

In Him

Wayne

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have some problems with their doctrinal statement.

They said:
    "The King James Bible, including both Old and New Testaments, is the inerrant, infallible and inspired Word of God. These Scriptures are the final authority in all matters of faith and practice."

==So the greek/hebrew mean nothing? All other translations are not the Bible? That is a rather unacademic viewpoint not to mention unScriptural.

Under the catagory of "Sovereign God" they talk about the Trinity and not the Sovereignity of God. Which is a bit strange since this is a place of theological study. In general the doctrinal statement reads more like something written by a layman or a small church and not something written for the Bible College.

Also if you look at their athletics page you notice some strange outfits. The basketball players are where long pants and teeshirts under their outfits. The cheerleaders look as if they are at an 1800s dance or something. Don't get me wrong I am a big supporter of proper dress, morals, and manners. However these pictures (along with the KJVO statement) make the school look like it may take things to extremes.

Most of their faculty have degrees only from TriState (which is a problem). I see nothing on the page about accreditation (etc).

In short I would not attend this school nor would I recommend it to anyone.

In Christ,
    Martin.

18. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Martin,

you really sound nitpicky on most of your points. If you don't agree with KJVO, than I should think that would be enough of a reason to not want to attend there. Why pick at these other issues?

I admire a school with the guts to have their boys AS WELL AS their girls dress modestly while playing sports. My church's school does the same thing within their sports program, but I wouldn't call us extremists. Just modest.

btw, I don't think Ive ever even heard of the college that is referenced here. I just wonder why it was brought up as an issue here without anyone even asking about it.

To the OPer, I wonder if they are just trying to find colleges they don't agree with just in order to point them out to everyone?

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    bapmom:

You said:
    you really sound nitpicky on most of your points.

==Sorry.

You said:
    If you don't agree with KJVO, than I should think that would be enough of a reason to not want to attend there. Why pick at these other issues?

==Because I think it shows a general pattern. There are many of these type schools out there and they all are the same. They take things too far and end up in forms of legalism. Being careful about dress codes, faithful Bible translations(etc) is great but there comes a point when it just goes too far.

You said:
    I admire a school with the guts to have their boys AS WELL AS their girls dress modestly while playing sports. My church's school does the same thing within their sports program, but I wouldn't call us extremists. Just modest.

==Again it is the whole picture I am after here. Isolated from other factors I don't think it would be that big of a deal but including everything else it paints a picture that makes me uncomfortable. Btw, just an opinion, I don't see basic basketball outfits as being unmodest. However I guess it depends upon how one looks at these things.

You said:
    I don't think Ive ever even heard of the college that is referenced here. I just wonder why it was brought up as an issue here without anyone even asking about it.

==Like I said there are dozens of these type schools around. Most are unaccredited, KVJO, have a questionable faculty (most have degrees only from that one school), and tend to be somewhat legalistic on certain matters. There are several down here in North Carolina that I could name off and they all are the same. I guess this is just a issue I have and thus the "nitpicky" points. Don't know? [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Martin.

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I would call this point very picky and petty. I find it strange how folks who plead for tolerance and broadmindedness are so picky toward others who differ from themselves. I suppose you think the Mennonites who wear long dresses and prayer bonnets are queer. Do you gawk at the Amish too? I applaud and support these folks in their individuality. I despise slavish dullness and sameness. It seems all of American evangelicalism is developing a dress style, in many cases immodest dress, and cultural motif of monotony and flatness. This cookie cutter mentality is hateful for me. Style is a tyrant that rules modernity.

I say more power to these folks who follow a dress or behavioral standard, regardless of whether I agree or not, according to their belief. This is being true to their theology. I will not criticize these folks for being consistent with their beliefs. Some of the more liberated types need to conform their lifestyle to their own professed beliefs.