1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trinity College of the Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Sep 5, 2005.

?
  1. I would consider earning a degree from Trinity.

81.8%
  2. It would cause me to think better of the school but I would not earn a degree from Trinity.

9.1%
  3. I don't trust Trinity...regional accreditation or not.

4.5%
  4. I still consider it a fake school.

4.5%
  5. If Trinity becomes accredited then I will lose all respect for regional accreditation!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You forgot "This is the first I've ever heard of the school."

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Sorry. [​IMG]

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

It would not change my attitude. IMO TTS misrepresented for years is accreditation and recognition. However, I would not say that its programs lack necessary substance except, perhaps, the DA in Bible. ( I took 3 PhD courses in Bible/Theology from TTS 2000=2001)

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I was involved with Trinity before ANY accreditation. It offered some very weak programs (a PhD would be laughable). It offered some very good programs, such as the D.Min., that were helpful and practical.

They are earned and accredited degrees, not "mills" or "mail order" - brothers, I have SEEN some of the later types and the "requirements" (besides $$) are pathetic.

Trinity pioneered the UWW (university without walls) program when it was universally scoffed at as "second class". Now EVERY school in America is rushing to the same thing.

Trinity does require face-to-face work with regional advisors + actual symposium weeks in Evansville, Indiana. When I finished my D.Min in 1980 we had a number of sessions with Henry Morris during the summer session prior to commencement.

And I have been blessed - teaching adjunct philosophy at a local college, I am paid according to my rank. But my highest accredited degree was a MAsters. With Trinity in the "system" of North Central, the premier of the 6 regional accrediting programs, my salary was up to the doctoral level. I hope they achieve it full time.

If the University of Phoenix online can get it, along with many other "mail order" programs, Trinity should certainly get it as well.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more thought - when I took courses from Trinity, they were actual tape recordings of the seminary classes, with all the same assignments, etc, as if attending. Would TRUST that the 'net has vastly improved this.

Above the MDiv level were classes that I took in:
    OT History I
    OT History II
    NT Theology I
    NT Theology II
    Pastoral Theology
    Pastoral Counseling
    Pastoral Epistles
    Denominational Research Project (50 page paper - mine was the history of fundamental Baptists in Wisconsin, now in its third printing)
    Doctoral Dissertation (mine was 250+ pages, history of Wisconsin textbook for Christian Schools, still in print and used in more than 100 schools)

Now that was a strong program to enhance a pastor's ministry after already having a gajillion years of Greek/Hebrew et al from a conventional college and grad school.

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

One more thought - when I took courses from Trinity, they were actual tape recordings of the seminary classes, with all the same assignments, etc, as if attending. Would TRUST that the 'net has vastly improved this.

Above the MDiv level were classes that I took in:
    OT History I
    OT History II
    NT Theology I
    NT Theology II
    Pastoral Theology
    Pastoral Counseling
    Pastoral Epistles
    Denominational Research Project (50 page paper - mine was the history of fundamental Baptists in Wisconsin, now in its third printing)
    Doctoral Dissertation (mine was 250+ pages, history of Wisconsin textbook for Christian Schools, still in print and used in more than 100 schools)

Now that was a strong program to enhance a pastor's ministry after already having a gajillion years of Greek/Hebrew et al from a conventional college and grad school.

I appreciated hearing about your positive experience there, Dr. Bob. It sounds like you did some significant work there. Trinity gets a lot of bad press sometimes. IMO unaccredited seminaries should be evaluated on their own merits and shouldn't get viewed as all the same. Trinity's faculty and DMin programs have been pretty solid for years, it sounds like.

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

It seems that Trinity's PhD programs, in particular, brought much disrepute over the entire school.

Bill

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "It seems that Trinity's PhD programs, in particular, brought much disrepute over the entire school."

That begs a retraction or some facts :D

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

Notice the qualifier, "It seems." I made the statement based upon talking with others who have been involved with Trinity (not to be confused the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) as either students or instructors, hence the qualifier. The evidence is obviously anecdotal.

For instance, a friend who received his MDiv from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary returned the Trinity PhD material soon after he received it. He told me that it was basically college-level work and unworthy to be considered PhD work.

In addition, sometime within the past year or two Trinity dropped the Doctor of Philosophy from their list of degrees offered. They offer the Doctor of Ministry, the Doctor of Religious Studies, and the Doctor of Arts, but no longer the Doctor of Philosophy. They would not have dropped the PhD unless they needed to make the change for regional accreditation.

So, I stand by my statement concerning their PhD program. I do not know anything about their other programs and, consequently, have no opinion one way or the other about them.

Blessings,
    Bill

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So, I stand by my statement concerning their PhD program."

And now you have put some "evidence" to your stand.

12. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I was "in" the Trinity PhD program for three or four courses (2000-01). I have completed grad degrees in Bible/Theology in four schools.

I would like to know what evangelical accredited school would offer, as did Trinity, a PhD in Bible without requiring the Biblical languages. I would like to know which one would use Grudem's Systematic as the main text for a PhD course in Theology. I would like to know which one would have PhD students listen to the very same cassettes and complete the very same assignments as did MA students. Yet Trinity claimed "unparalled excellence" (and , of course, 'global accreditation')

Again, IMO, the TTS programs do have substance . The profs are qualified. TTS is no mill. But IMO the TTS PhD in Bible was very substandard when I was "there"

BTW Stan, thanks for the tip. I now am Assistant Professor of Theological Studies and Director of Distance Education for OTS. And YOU gave me that lead!www.otsweb.org/

OTS's website needs to be updated. We are now part of Faith Seminary of Tacoma and are TRACS accredited.

Thanks Ex. !! Godbless!

Bill Grover

[ September 16, 2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: UZThD ]

13. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

I'm almost finished with my Ph.D at Trinity. I hope to make the deadline by Dec 31. It is yet uncertain.

I first signed up for two seminar courses. I sat in a lecture hall all day and took a test. The so-called test at the end of the day was a joke since one was spoon fed the answers throughout the day. the toughest part of the seminary was to write one paper. BTW, here is one of my papers: http://www.trinitysem.edu/journal/4-2/lloyd-olson-paper.htm

Trinity also offers a distance learning option for classes. With the exception of the two seminars, I have opted for this method. Each distance based class requires many modules. Many times each module requires reading an entire book such as Osborne's Hermeneutical Spiral.

Since I have no desire to get a degree or be a full anything, I took this route because of its harder longer standards. (I already work for the government full time and am an adjunct faculty at Calhoun community college in Math.) I wanted to learn more of God's Word rather than simply skip through a program. My last Greek course was an exegesis of Galatians. Ergo: Nearly 400 pages of grammar, diagrams, vocabulary and exegesis. It was one of my most treasured learning experiences. (Electronic copies sent to all who ask: [email protected]).

You get out of Trinity what you want. This means that there are many getting very little out of the program except paper at the end.

Lloyd

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

Lloyd,

Do you know why Trinity discontinued their PhD programs? I suspected it was due to their seeking regional accreditation but am wondering if there is any other reason.

BTW, thanks for sharing your experiences without being defensive. I'm glad the program has been beneficial for you.

Blessings,
    Bill

15. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey Bill

Trinity has "discontinued" their current PhD programs in order to comply with regional accreditation that takes places 1 Jan 2006.

Lloyd

16. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey Bill

I'd like to be an adjunct faculty member of OTS. Where would you suggest that I begin in pursuing this goal?

Lloyd

17. Broadus

Broadus Member

Bill (UZThD),

Congratulations on your OTS appointment. That is indeed good news.

Bill

18. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Bill: Thanks.

Lloyd: Contact H. Wayne House.

19. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    uzthd: Congrats! Finally something to keep you off the streets at night :D

20. UZThD