1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trinity Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Nord, May 6, 2006.

1. Nord

Nord New Member

For those of you who have followed the Trinity Theological issue over the years, this is an interesting thread from degreediscussion.com

http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=531

I have a Baptist Pastor friend who is working on his Masters from Trinity. Trinity had some interesting times. As I recall they were not able to make TRACS accreditation and dropped the idea. They then hit on the idea to get "accreditation" from the University of Liverpool and in some people's eyes marketed that as if it were international accreditation. For an extra 225 you got a shiney UofL sticker for your degree. It was not a jointly awarded degree but I have seen people list it as if it were also awarded by the University of Liverpool. Then they switched to University of Canterbury accreditation. They have also gone on to become candidates for Regional Accreditation with the NCA. This when critics figured that would not happen.

The thread above notes some issues which are complicating their march to full accreditation (site visit now delayed). What makes this thread fascinating is that it discusses a law suit filed by a former VP Dr. Fyffe. on another thread (whchi I will find and post he personally and in very interesting detail discusses "his" perspective on problems with Trinity. He makes mention in the other thread about the Masters Divinity School issue.

Nord

2. Nord

Nord New Member

Here is the other thread (in which Fyffe personally responds to issues with Trinity). Obvioulsy the caveat is that we are only getting one side of the story. But there have been some who have had ethical concerns with Trinity. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=651

Nord

3. Bearhouse

Bearhouse New Member

Nord, so what do you think are the chances of Trinity getting regional accrediation?

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is a good question and I am interested to hear/read Nord's answer.

Personally I have my doubts. When I read, several weeks or so ago, that the on-site visit had been delayed I started to wonder what was going on. After reading Dr. Fyffe's comments I have serious doubts that Trinity will gain regional accreditation. It seems to me, and I could be reading the situation wrongly so this is just my opinion, that the board of Trinity got rid of everyone who was working hard to gain the accreditation. Maybe that is because they had to make changes that caused their enrollment to shrink some (and thus less money)? Maybe there are people there who are more interested in making money than in having a strong, Christian, academic center? That is what it looks like to me (just my opinion). If Trinity fails to gain this regional accreditation I think it will be all down hill from here. I think of American Bible College and Seminary that lost its TRACS accreditation and soon disappeared. If Trinity can't get it together they will not be a "realistic" option for the majority of believers. This is certainly the case now that many seminaries/schools are starting to offer courses/degrees online (most except the ATS schools, of course). Trinity could survive when it was one of only a few distance learning options. However now that distance learning (online learning) has become so wide-spread Trinity has much more competition. That competition could hurt Trinity if they fail to gain regional accreditation.

Martin.

5. Nord

Nord New Member

Good insight Martin. Trinity in some respects (should it fail to get accreditation) will have been better off never having tried. It was apparently profitable as an unaccredited entity with Liverpool & later Canterbury "accreditation"/endorsement. Reasonable faculty, etc. It was never able to make TRACS accreditation (withdrew application or something several years ago) and then were it to have made candidacy with NCA and then to lose it (probably not a good thing). It would not be for academics but it appears for other issues were it to be lost but nonetheless the effect would be the same.

ACCS had problems and except for the Biblical Studies dept (needed some more PhD's teaching) they were more administrative failures and issues than academic (making changes without board approval, failure to gorw the endowment in line with the increased enrollment, etc). Nonetheless if effects the whole school and down it went. At one point Liberty U was on probabtion by SACS for no other reason than the size of its debt load (which was solved by a generous benefactor).

I wish the best for Trinity's students. I do not know what the outcome will be but it is enough to cause one to be nervous. Mind you as was pointed out on one of those threads Bill Grover wrote NCA a long list of concerns with Trinity's ethics and acdemics and yet the Regional accreditor gave them candidacy anyway to the astonishment of some. For some it lead less to the aqcceptance of Trinity's quality than questioning the quality of Regional Accreditation.

Nord