1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triples Trivia

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Jun 13, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Without looking it up, name the only three players to ever have at least 20 doubles, 20 triples and 20 homers in the same season. Hint: Two are in the Hall of Fame. The other guy I never heard of (and that's saying a lot).

Now name the player in 2007 who is on pace to match this feat.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No clue on any save the last, who is undoubtedly a Detroit Tiger. Certainly you would not have a question about a member of your disliked rivals teams of Detroit, I wouldn't think. :rolleyes:

Ed

#2 EdSutton, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Curtis Granderson

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ordonez is probably the one on pace to match the feat.

Hmm....as for the others, process of elimination rules out Petey, since he's not (but should be) in the HOF, and you probably have heard of him.

Give us a hint: what era are we talking about? I want to say Schmidt would be one, but that's a leap.

How many guesses do we get? :)

Once again, FTR, I'm not wild about statistical extrapolations because they rarely ever come true. But I'll play along :)

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Correct, one that one!

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ordonez is on pace to hit almost 80 doubles, but he has no triples. Granderson is the answer as Pastor got above.

Hints on the two Hall of Famers who did it - one guy played in the 70's-80's and had a bad case of hemorroids (sp?). The other guy played in the 50's-60's and some regard him as the best all-around player of all-time. Those are easy hints. The no-name guy played for the Indians in the 40's. I think I've already forgotten his name, though.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Brett did cross my mind. So that's one.

I'll say Mays for the other one. The "no-name" I'll probably not get.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

By the way, send a memo to your Tigers: they need to beat the Brewers so my Reds can run them down a little easier :laugh: Fernando Rodney is just not getting it done.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, Brett did it in '79 - the year before he hit .390. You are correct - Mays did it in the late 50's. The other guy was Jeff Heath for the Indians in 1941. Jeff Heath does not sound like a 1941 name - it sounds so current.

F. Rodney stinks and I hope the Tigers trade him. He has blown about 4 or 5 games this year. I'm not so sure the Tigers can overcome their horrific bullpen. What a difference between last year and this year.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You're right - Jeff Heath sounds like a guy on a roster right now.

I guessed right on Mays :) I think Baseball-Ref has him doing it in '57

George Brett - a classic. How in the world did the universe stay on its axis with he and Rose on the same field in the '80 WS? :)

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Wonder whether it was himself or Brett that Rose put his money on? Couldn't resist.

Ed