1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trouble downloading

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by bonniej, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bonniej

bonniej Guest

I have been trying to download a legal medical software program for my consulting business that I hope to start soon and everytime I try to install it I get an error message that reads 16 bit subsystem
    C:\Windows\Systems 32\autoexec.nt and then it says System file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Application. I know some about computers but not anything like this. I have a presario Compaq R3000 notebook with Windows XP, I have talked with HP who I bought it from and they had me put the operation disc in to restore files as they said I had corrupt files but that didn't work. Any suggestions? It came with Window XP so I don't have a disc to reinstall it with and I can't send it back to the factory because I'm also taking an online course so i need it to bad.
    Any help anyone an give will sure be appreciated.

2. superdave

superdave New Member

The program may be an older one that is Microsofts old 16 bit architechture, if so, it will be difficult to get it to work with XP, is the application certified for XP? If it is, than they might be right, you may have a corrupt file on your system

3. bonniej

bonniej Guest

My computer is only a few months old, you would think it would be updated with everything. I have talked with HP twice and the first time we did the operational recovery thinng and that didn't workd so I talked to them again today and after rrying a couple of things she said that XP Professional was not compatible with that particular download. I've never had this trouble before. She said I could burn someCD's and store all my stuff on the CD's the call her back and we would do a recovery system thing which means wiping every thing out. So I called the lady that I was trying to get the download from and she is just going to send me a disc and hopefully that will work.
    Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

4. superdave

superdave New Member

I know I said it in geek speak, but I really was getting at the fact that the file you were using to load the application was not compatible with XP, since your computer is new, and has XP on it, older programs may not work. That is how microsoft gets you to buy new stuff.

Sounds like if they get you the right program that is compatible with XP, it should work fine, it sounds like you got some rather weak tech support from HP, I'm not sure why they would want you to go to all the pain and suffering of recovering your OS, when pretty clearly from the message you just needed a different version of the program that would work with XP.

Hope the new one works.

5. Dale

Dale New Member

can you give us a website for the program? That would help.
    Thanks