1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Trouble With the Trinity?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by OldRegular, Jan 26, 2014.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is your verse.
    You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
    Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God
    as something to cling to.
    Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being.
    When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.

The verse states that the Lord Jesus Christ was God.

That He did not cling to being equal with God.

There is then Scriptures that clearly state the co-equal estate.

#21 agedman, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was not suggesting that Christ did/does not have equality with God. I read my post again, and I can see where it looks that way. I apologize for not being as clear as I should have been.

Scripture does not use the words "coequal" or "persons", as to teach that there are three separate beings who stand shoulder to shoulder.

What scripture affirms is that the Word of God and the Breath of God are equal with God, from God, with God, and are God.

I am content with what scripture affirms, and see no need to press any further that what scripture actually affirms. How there is personality ascribed to each, and interaction from one to another, I do not know. And I am content with that

When men attempt to squeeze Him into a neat theological structure, inevitably the train goes off the tracks. Scripture does not teach anything about 3 coequal Persons.

And since scripture teaches nothing like that, the onus is upon every man who departs from scriptural language to be 100% clear on what he means.

How do you define Person?
    How do you understand Coequal?
    How to you understand Coequal relating to Persons?

But even as important, what was meant by those who coined the terms?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is, reduced to simpliest terminology, what the Bible describes the trinity being!

There is but ONE God, and within that ONE God, are 3 seperate persons, whom the Bible calls father/jesus/Holy Spirit!

All 3 equally are God, yet not 3 seperate Gods, but One God expressed 3 seperate persons, not one God manifested himself 3 different temp ways, but eternally father/Son/spirit!

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

i am not familiar with White so I cannot say that we agree or disagree. You ask for a definition of person in the earlier thread on the Trinity. I gave you mine!

Below I give you the definition of a "being". I would say that my understanding of person is certainly more restrictive and more explicit than "being" But frankly I see no conflict between my understanding of man or person and the definition of being. If you do then be kind enough to point it out.

I would suggest that the above statement is false. As I said I am not familiar with White but I suspect that his understanding of the Triune nature of God is orthodox!

I gave several quotes from Scripture. If you find fault with them then elaborate instead of complaining. It has been stated on more than one occasion by different people that Scripture teaches the Triune nature of God but does not explicitly state it, though there are Scripture where the Three Persons of the Godhead are mentioned.

Instead of complaining why not search Scripture yourself!

Generally when people speak of God they are speaking of God the Father. He is one person! Whether that was my thought process when I wrote that I cannot say. I presented additional information in a later post #10!

That is an asinine conclusion. My definition was specifically related to man as a rational being, etc. which I called his personhood. Go back and read it again. I even took the trouble of giving a dictionary definition of being!

You are just being [verb] a contrary being, JL.

You are wrong and in an earlier post I presented Scripture to show that God the Father and God the Word are co-equal. From post #4:

And God is One God so what is your problem?

Deuteronomy 6:4. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

I can understand that!!

You are contradicting yourself and in the same post!

I presented Scripture! It seems that given you contradict yourself on this issue as I note above you are just being contumacious!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist