1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True Christian Music is inspired by the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by procyon, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I guess I don't understand. Are you saying there is some music that is "entirely a product of the Holy Spirit?" </font>[/QUOTE]"Smile"?

Now Playing: The Issacs – “Songs of the Faith”

2. procyon

procyon New Member

Eliyahu,
    Thank you for that lovely story about the writer of What a Friend We Have in Jesus.
    May God use you mightily in the work of the gospel and in the extension of His kingdom! May we live a holy and separated life, without any trace of legalism or carnality!
    Amen.

3. procyon

procyon New Member

Eliyahu,
    Please see my Another Adventure in Canada in the Hobby/Travel Section.
    God bless.
    Procyon

4. procyon

procyon New Member

rsr,
    Yes, there are hymns which are entirely the product of the Holy Spirit. There are spiritual songs too. And there are psalms, especially the Psalms we love so much. There are some Sunday School choruses too!

Only a born again person and one living in Christ can write spiritual songs that inspire worship. I am not sure whether Handel was born-again and was living a holy life. God is interested in the life and testimony; not in talent, skill and head-knowledge.

All this we will understand when WE ARE BORN AGAIN.

[Mike, no hard feelings! You can still see my blogs. I too enjoy secular music, but OUTSIDE THE CHURCH!]

5. Sularis

Sularis Member

procyon oh procyon - wherefore art tho procyon

we are the church - to have one music outside the church while having another inside the church smacks to me at least of RANKEST HYPOCRISY!

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm not sure this in and of itself is hypocrisy. There is music that I don't believe should be in a worship setting, but I don't believe that a particular genre of music is inherently evil.

Procyon started out the thread by condemning all of CCM as being worldly, fleshly, and unable to touch the spirit. His only basis for that is it has a beat (as well as rhythms and tunes) that he has probably been told is evil and he's accepted it as such. In addition to this, he condemned all CCM artists, questioning their motives, ethics, and salvation. Again, the basis for condemning CCM appears to be the "evil" beat.

The problem here is that if procyon enjoys secular music, then procyon evidently has no problem with listening to the "evil" beat outside of the church, but has a problem with it inside the church. That, my friend, is the hypocrisy. If you accept that a beat can be evil, then it's evil both inside and outside the church.

I challenge whether God is interested in talent and skill or not. If God had no interest in talent and skill, why bother blessing those of us with musical talent with said talent? Why did God tell us to play skillfully (Psalm 33:3)? The talent and skill shouldn't be used to glorify oneself, but that's a different issue than the blanket disparaging of talent and skill.

7. procyon

procyon New Member

Ok, here are some examples.
    I like country and western music. But I dont want to hear it in a church. It wont inspire me to worship.
    I like Handel and Bach. But it wont inspire me to worship.
    The problem is that your idea of worship and my idea of worship are two different things. I am talking about John 4.23,24. Worship in Spirit and truth.
    CCM has its limitations. Their idea of worship is different from John 4.23,24. Only those who are born of the Spirit and have experienced the inward cross [which Paul talks of] can understand what I mean.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

As usual, you've missed the point. The point is not whether you like secular music and whether you like it in church or not. The point is your basis for condemning CCM and CCM artists. You condemn CCM for its beat and rhythms, but you like country and western music, some of which has the identical beat found in CCM.

So, would you care to try again and say why this isn't hypocrisy? Er... let me rephrase that. Would you like to try for the first time to say why this isn't hypocrisy?

The problem is that you don't know me from Adam's 2nd cousin. Don't try and pretend that you know anything about me and what I think worship is about. I think the problem is you need to get off of your high horse.

There you go again, sitting on the judgment seat condemning others and deciding whether they're born of the Spirit or not. Smileys at the end of your post don't make up for your smug, condescending attitude.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

No problem. As I said, because of your behavior, I really don't have any desire to look at your blogs.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they do inspire me to worship. Isn't your criterion a subjective one only?

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Procyon is quite legalistic on all subject matter.

We own a low-power FM radio station and play contemporary Christian music; however, I might add: We are very careful in selection. It must fit doctrine and we will not play head-banging music that you cannot understand the words. Sadly, much of the music that is coming out today is aimed at the biggest CD buying audience---teenagers. Therefore, the CCM is getting heavier and heavier each year.

This is sad because a lot of good talent in the adult contemporary Christian music is not being produced much anymore.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another example that everyone draws a line somewhere, and alludes to some Scriptural principle to justify it.

If God doesn't draw a line, than neither should we. Your exclusion of head-banging music is therefore no less legalistic than procyon has been. But if God DOES draw a line, then it behooves us to discern that line and abide by it.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Don't make accusations here Aaron. I NEVER said that head-banging music was inappropriate. I said that we limit the music WE play to adult contemporary music and I also did indicate that record sales are now based on what kids like and that causes a void in good adult contemporary.

Please show me where I tell ANYBODY that the head-banging music is not okay to listen to?

Your interpretation of what I said needs a little legalism to be accurate. :rolleyes:

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Let me add that "head-banging" is a term I am using, and I do not like the music. however, I am NOT forcing my opinion on ANYBODY. clear?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, your message is very clear.

No matter how much you deny it, you're drawing a line here. Music that drowns out the words is in appropriate.

Now, either you're doing the right thing with this stipulation, or you're not. In other words, you're either doing God's will or your own. Which is it?

16. procyon

procyon New Member

I am not legalistic. I hate legalism. But I detest liberalism too. I am just a simple believer in the Lord Jesus Christ; having the simplicity of Christ. Got it? Smile. No need to work yourself up into a rage. [The truth hurts like wine on a wound!]

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

procyon wrote:

Do you even know what legalism means? Your posts have been full of legalism, slander, condemnation of brothers and sisters in Christ, condescension, hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

Perhaps you've forgotten these words of Christ recorded in John 13:35.

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

BWAAHAHAHAHA!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A rage? Hardly.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What is this supposed to mean? It sounds like more of the smug and condescending attitude you've shown throughout this thread.

Let me know when you've started talking about real truth, because I haven't seen much of it your posts. However, I have seen quite a bit that has nothing to do with the Jesus Christ that I know and love.

BTW, there are still many questions to you that you have yet to answer.

18. procyon

procyon New Member

Wine on a wound? Where did you read that in the Bible?

All your questions will be answered, my dear Robinson, if you can answer that question and understand its significance.

Im not being sarcastic, nor smug, nor condescending, nor whatever. Equanimity is the name of the game. Im still smiling.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

#1, Don't patronize me. I'm not a child.

#2, The onus is on you to answer, not for me to play some game.

#3, You can say that you're not condescending until you're blue in the face, but your previous posts (including the most recent one) show something quite different.

Answer the questions or don't. But, I'm not playing some silly game to get them.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer my question, then. Would you agree that the carnal mind is at enmity with God?