1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TRUE or FALSE .....

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by wpe3bql, Jun 2, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

TRUE or FALSE:

1) Methuselah, age 969 years at his death, died before his father died.

2) Methuselah was considered to be an omen of God's judgment to mankind.

Please explain your answers to the above in some detail.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Enoch walked with God, and God took him. So I guess you could say that the son was outlived by the father....so to speak.

2. I never thought of this as an omen....but I suppose it could be if you take his death to mark the flood. I've seen his name stated as meaning "man of the spear," but I've also seen it as "his death brings judgment." (I guess a better answer would require one to validate those claims).

3. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which death? Physical or Spiritual?

1) Spiritual? Death being separated from God.
    Pslams 51 [5] Behold, I was shapen in iniquity;

Spiritually dead, would apply to he who was born first, ie Enoch.

2) Physically? Death of the body.
    Gen 5:18
    [21] And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
    [22] And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
    [23] And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
    [24] And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
    [25] And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:
    [26] And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
    [27] And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.

Enoch at 65 yrs old, begat Methuselah.
    AFTER Enoch begat Methuselah, Enoch "walked with God".
    Thus for 64 years, Enoch DID NOT "walk WITH God".
    Enoch lived physically 365 years.
    Thus for 300 years, Enoch DID "walk WITH God".
    When Enoch was 365, and Methuselah was 300, God "TOOK" Enoch.
    Methuselah physically lived another 604 years after Enoch was "TAKEN" by God.

WHAT that pertains to an earthly man - does God require?

Gen 9
    [5] And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.

WHAT that pertains to an earthly man - CHANGES - so that a man is "walking WITH God"?

Pss.23
    [3] He restoreth my soul:

Ezek.18

[31] Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit:

What that pertains to an earthly man - CAN Be "translated" (ie taken) TO HEAVEN? His BODY? His SOUL? His SPIRIT?

His BODY? No.

John 3
    [13] And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven...

Did Enoch's BODY come down from Heaven? No.
    Enoch was the (natural stock ie sperm) son of Jarad.
    Thus, Enoch was born of the dust of the earth, AND sentenced to bodily return to the dust of the earth.

Ecc 3 [20] All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

So WHAT does God TAKE, that pertains to a man WHO, walks "WITH" God?

The mans "restored" (ie saved soul) ? Yes
    The mans "quickened" (new) spirit? Yes

You ask a simple question to a very complex issue.
    This requires an in depth study to see the whole big picture.

Scripture teaches ABOUT God, and ABOUT early mans LEARNING ABOUT God, and the experiences of particular men, according to the amount of information they were given.

Omen? I would say, foreshadowing.
    Faithful men of latter days are no different in WHAT God provided for faithful men of early days.
    What IS different is the extent of knowledge "revealed" and the "understanding" thereof, between men of early days (babes) and men of latter days (mature).

God TOOK Enoch. What exactly did God TAKE? His body? No. His soul? Yes. His spirit? Yes.
    Did ANYONE witness God "TAKING" Enoch's soul or spirit? No.
    Does ANYONE witness God "TAKING" anyone's soul or spirit? No.

In a nutshell - This simply verifies what is revealed in the beginning and later - God IS FAITHFUL, and regardless of the ERA of mankind, from beginning of mankind to the ending of mankind - A man first learns ABOUT God, then chooses to be FAITHFUL to God, or not. And those WHO choose to be faithful TO God, God "changes them" and KEEPS them unto Him forever.

Jesus is clear....there is No OPTION. A man MUST be born again to be WITH God.

John.3
    1. [3] Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    2. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Did Enoch NEED to know the term, "born again", for God to "CHANGE" a faithful man (as was Enoch) ? No.

Does God "TAKE" unto Him, men who are NOT born again? Scripture says no.

#3 Happy, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017