1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True religion is not the SBC

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Haruo, Jun 18, 2003.

1. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

At first, when someone proclaims "Christianity is the true religion", it may seem to come off as being arrogant, especially to non believers and skeptics. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it seems that trying to drill that concept into someone to begin with would have a negative effect.
    Would it not be better to show our Christianity through our actions, since they speak so much louder than our words can?
    We should show people that Jesus is the only way, not just proclaim it to them and try to make them believe it through our words.

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

"Christianity" = the acts of following Christ = the way, the truth, and the life. These acts collectively are called Christianity. It is the only way to heaven (Christ's way). If you thought Christianity was anything else then you have a misunderstanding of what Christianity is.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

Jesus Christ is Himself the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Christ Himself.

No religion (even a "Christian" one) will suffice.

In my opinion, Jerry Vines was a very poor representative of the gospel. His dig at Tom Brokaw completely undermined what he said about the truth of the gospel. Loving your enemies (like Jesus commanded in the book Vines claims to believe) probably doesn't include mocking them when you're trying to stress an essential truth. Truths as important as Christ being the only way to God need to be expressed with humility, boldness and awe instead of the snide attitude that Vines presented.

(And yes, I saw what NBC news said about Vines about 6 months ago and I thought they were off base in the way they portrayed him, but mocking Brokaw in response was petty.)

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm sorry, but I must correct something here. Jesus said "I am the way". He never said "this is the way". By empnasising methods, we deemphasize the messenger. For us to say "this is the way" is thologically incorrect. Christianity, in and of itself as religious method, is no better or worse than any other religious method. Following Jesus is not about religion. It's about relationship.

5. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Since I started this thing, I suppose I might as well jump back in long enough to say that Johnv's comment was pretty close to what I meant to convey. I don't consider the SBC to be a "false christian church", if only because I think they're still Baptistic enough that to call the convention a "church" is a misnomer - but it's not as bad a misnomer as to call that within Christianity which saves a "religion" and to act as if it is one. The saving one is Christ, not the various communities of faith and/or power-politics that claim to follow him. I'm sure I have a much more jaundiced view of the SBC than Murph has; its leadership often comes across like a bunch of Texan-Appalachian popettes and some of its resolutions seriously hamper Baptist evangelism in our neck of the woods. But far from trying to suggest that Christ is merely my personal favorite from some list like </font>
    • A. Muhammad</font>
    • B. Zoroaster</font>
    • C. Gautama</font>
    • D. Jesus</font>
    • E. Bahá'ulláh</font>
    • F. Moses</font>
    • G. Mani</font>
    • H. Wovoka</font>
    I was hoping to highlight the fact that "religion" is not an appropriate, nor is it a scriptural (especially for the KJV folks, be it noted!) description of that which is central and salvific in Christianity, as the SBC honcho I'd seen quoted made it sound.

Haruo

6. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member