1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True Repentance?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Jan 17, 2008.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What do you think of this comment?

"True Repentance does not presume upon the grace and mercy of God. We cannot come to Christ unless his spirit draws us to Christ."

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see the full context of the quote, but that may just be me.

The Archangel.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't think I can get you that. I heard this in the midst of a series of video clips.

4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool. Here's my take. True repentance, just like everything we do as true Christians, is in response to God's action/revelation. So, our true repentance is in response to God's work of regenerating our hearts.

I'll take a deeper stab at this later.

Many Blessings,

The Archangel

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Jhn 12:32And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me.

Rev 3:20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

I do not know how it would take place without the Grace and Mercy of God though. It takes two to repent, you and God. IMO

Esau sought it with tears, but it was not granted.

BBob,

#5 Brother Bob, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Biblical Repentance always results in deeds appropriate to Repentance (Acts 26:20, NASU).

If you have no deeds to backup your repentance, then your repentance is a suspect.

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Luke 6:43-49 (KJV)
    43: For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    44: For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
    45: A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
    46: And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
    47: Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
    48: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
    49: But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)
    Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

:saint:

8. AAA

AAA New Member

1. Should we go on sinning that the grace of God may abound? God forbid...

2. That's the truth!

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't even think I will comment without seeing it in context.

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

True repentence means you're not gonna do it again...