1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Trump Will Not be Releasing Taxes

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You speak from ignorance as you would in know that your statement is not true if you had clicked on the link and gone through the entire list. I decided I did not want to post 5 or 6 postings to cover the entire list.

2. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in NY, it appears that Mr. Trump will be on the Conservative Party line.

4. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

LAW-NEWZ - LINK:

"Legal Experts Side With Trump; It Would Be Crazy to Release His Taxes During Audit:

"Donald Trump is not backing down. He is not releasing his taxes until after he says a federal audit is complete. He was pushed on the topic again Friday morning on Good Morning America.

“Almost every lawyer will tell you the same thing, when you are under audit, you finish the audit before you release,” he said."
    "
    on this one, we have to say it is true. Tax attorneys who spoke with LawNewz.com said they would advise their clients not to release taxes in the midst of an audit."

"I advise my clients (hundreds over the years who actually experience an IRS inquiry) to NEVER release their tax returns while an audit is going on. I am certain Mr. Trump’s lawyers, very capable and well-respected in this field, have advised him not to disclose his tax returns during the audit. There are many reasons for this."

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So release the 2014 taxes. Or 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are all his returns under audit?

Do we know for sure than any are actually under audit?

Regardless, it is bad politics to withhold the returns.

From: http://www.forbes.com/sites/berniek...disclosure-controversy-part-one/#3ff05ea64d93

Donald Trump has said that the reason that he has not released his tax returns is that his returns are being audited. The fact that his tax returns are under audit in no way prevents him from disclosing them. He has not stated which years’ tax returns are under audit. Normally tax returns are selected for audit between one and two years after they are filed. Trump tweeted a photo of him signing his 2014 form 1040 on October 15, 2015. This means that the 2014 tax return would not normally have been selected for audit until at least October of this year. However, when a taxpayer is under examination for a prior year, the auditor may request to see the current year form 1040 and add that to the list of returns being examined.

Tax practitioners disagree whether there is a risk of additional tax being imposed on Mr. Trump due to public disclosure of the information contained in his tax returns under audit. Some experts say that this would expose his tax return to greater scrutiny by allowing every tax professional in the country to suggest ways that Trump’s returns could be attacked. Others say the IRS already knows what they want to audit and are unlikely to be swayed by suggestions from the public. One may argue that if you want to run for president, you should not be concerned with how the disclosure of your tax return might affect your tax audit. That is the price you must pay to be transparent to the voting public. President Nixon disclosed his tax returns while under IRS audit. There was no suggestion that his disclosure had an impact on the audit.

#46 Crabtownboy, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

LINK Law Newz:

"First of all, and most importantly, the IRS is not allowed to show your client’s tax returns to anyone else. Such returns are protected by the privacy laws of section 6103 of Title 26 of the Code. The only way they could do so if your client had a lawyer dumb enough to let you disclose those records publicly. The IRS could then misuse this otherwise private information to make the audit process more difficult at many levels, and could cause problems for other entirely innocent businesses you do business with."

"Second, releasing the returns during an audit could cause anyone who has a grievance with you to misuse the released information, and try to intervene in the audit process, for their own personal, financial or political gain."

"Third, tax returns usually reveal business strategies that may need revision during the audit process, for which untimely disclosure could unduly hinder and harm, with third parties often the victim as much as the client.”

"Lots of transactions span several tax years so he is also right that one years return may be intertwined with another.”

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="Lewis, post: 2245515, member: 12061"
    "Lots of transactions span several tax years so he is also right that one years return may be intertwined with another.”[/QUOTE]

So release the 2013 tax returns.

9. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

But President Nixon was not a businessman, a developer, or a property manager. He didn't have 250 ongoing ventures.

10. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tax experts say "No". - "I advise my clients to NEVER release their tax RETURNS [as in plural] while an audit is going on."

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, we don't know if Trump is being audited or not. He says he is. Then again he said he was going to release his tax returns last January. Then he said he wouldn't because there was nothing to see. Then he said he wouldn't because he was being audited. He said he would produce a letter from the IRS saying he was being audited. That dragged on and on and finally he released a letter from his tax attorney saying he was being audited.

So pick a year that are not being audited. Say, 2008.

Mark Everson former commissioner of internal revenue at the IRS, says there's no reason why Trump can't at least release his returns from 2002 to 2008 -- and maybe more recent ones, too.

Everson makes several points.

First, he points out that the letter notes the 2002 to 2008 audits were closed without any assessment or payment -- indicating that Trump filed all of the taxes he owed.

"Well, bravo for Mr. Trump!" Everson said. "That's a great result! And if that's the case, certainly one would say, why wouldn't you release those returns?" After all, the IRS looked at those returns, said that Trump was fine, and closed the files.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...is-old-tax-returns-if-he-wanted-to/?tid=a_inl

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

So he is being audited.

That is fine, but we do know that the IRS has been used by this administration for political purposes. If I were Trump (or any other wealthy Republican) I would follow the advice of my tax attorney, not a retired IRS official. Or the Washington Post for that matter.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just thinking - Hillary believes in equality.
    She should DEMAND that her tax return be audited!!!!