1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump's Reversals of Policy Positions

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, May 5, 2016.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two days into his general election campaign, Donald Trump has already signaled he may abandon his positions on two major policy issues: a minimum wage increase and tax cuts for the rich.

Trump has never been known for his consistency: He took multiple positions on abortion in several days last month, and more recently shifted from promising to erase America's $19 trillion debt in eight years to arguing it was actually a good time to borrow. Even on his signature issue of immigration, he's flipped back and forth - sometimes in the same day - on whether he supports certain visas for legal workers.

Trump put out a tax plan last year that included major cuts to income, estate and business taxes for the ultra-wealthy along with far less generous cuts for the middle class. But that was the old Trump. Pressed by CNBC on Thursday as to how he could simultaneously brand himself as a populist who will take on wealthy elites while proposing sweeping tax cuts for billionaires, Trump backed away from his plan.

Trump's abrupt dismissal of his own tax plan, which he regularly cited on the campaign trail, came a day after he signaled a willingness to raise the federal minimum wage, which would be a major reversal from his stance in the primaries.

"I am open to doing something with it, because I don't like that," Trump told CNN on Wednesday after being asked if he thought the $7.25 minimum wage should be increased.

Trump added that "you have to have something that you can live on" and that his willingness to entertain a wage increase showed he was "very different from most Republicans."

This was, to put it mildly, a complete flip flop from his position in the primaries.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...es-taxes-wages-he-turns-fall-election-n568816

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a wild card

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This article originally appeared on MSNBC.com.

PMSNBC must be onto Trump's idea of going after Sander's votes and trying to run interference for Hillary. Trump did not endorse raising the minimum wage jobs pay, he suggested we create jobs that pay more than minimum wage.

And about "tax cuts for the rich":

“Reducing or eliminating most deductions and loopholes available to the very rich.”

“Tax relief for middle class Americans:”

“The death tax punishes families for achieving the American dream. Therefore, the Trump plan eliminates the death tax.”

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/tax-reform

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He didn't?

From your link:

[Trump] signaled a possible willingness to raise the federal minimum wage, which would be a major reversal from his stance in the primaries.

“I am open to doing something with it, because I don’t like that,” Trump told CNN on Wednesday after being asked if he thought the $7.25 minimum wage should be increased.

Trump added that “you have to have something that you can live on” and that his willingness to entertain a wage increase showed he was “very different from most Republicans.”

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ......Trump was asked, “Bernie Sanders says he wants $15-an-hour minimum wage, and he has really gone after you lately for saying you’re happy with $7.25, the current federal minimum wage. You can’t live on $7.25-an-hour.”

He responded, “No, and I’m actually looking at that, because I’m very different from most Republicans. I mean, you have to have something that you can live on, but what I’m really looking to do, is get people great jobs so they make much more money than that, so they make much money — more money than the $15. Now, if you start playing around too much with the lower level, the lower level number, you’re not going to be competitive.”

When asked what he would recommend as a federal minimum wage, Trump stated, “I’m looking at it.”

He was then asked if he was open to raising the wage, he said, “I’m open to doing something with it, because I don’t like that. But what I really do like bringing our jobs back, so they’re making much more than the $15.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016...wage-im-very-different-from-most-republicans/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the result of what Trump said was not that he was for raising the minimum wage via the government.