1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trusting Jesus = Justification

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ray Berrian, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Eladar

Eladar New Member

This is very true. Yet the question remains, why are some found righteous and others are not?

Does it have to do with how they lived their lives while here on earth?

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

People don't just happen to or are found saved. Each person, one at a time, must first hear the Word of God as to the experience of salvation by faith. [Romans 10:9-15] He may also read or see the truth of salvation on the television. Truth must be communicated before it can be received, believed and trusted in as to what Christ has done for sinners.

Some people after being convicted and convinced of their lack of relationship with the Lord God, a witness coming from the Spirit of God, will come to receive Christ. [John 1:12] The rest of the sinners, even after hearing the Word of truth, remain in their unbelief. Why? For each sinner it might be a different reason. Love of money, sex, friends, etc. can be reasons for trying to evade God.

Some sinners are very hardened against God while others are not in such a bad state of affairs, though equally guilty before Almighty God. The Spirit can deal with all cases, but receiving Christ is a personal issue. [John 1:12] Jesus in His parable in Matthew 13 tells us that sinners all react in a different way. Some will yield to the directives of the Spirit and become eternally saved, while others will neglect the gift of everlasting life. [John 5:24] A study of Matthew chapter thirteen will help you understand why some find Christ and others turn Him aside.

3. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Rejecting or accepting, those are still just actions.

I know those who perscribe to the 'just Jesus' view don't like to admit that, but it is true.

4. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

5. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Rejecting or accepting are not "actions" or "Acts", they are conditions of faith. One can reject without even knowing it, by simply not accepting.

These, accepting or rejecting, are not "works" that man can do, there is no effort expended in believing or not believing. Believing is accepting, not believing is rejecting.

I could tell you God is Purple. Now what effort do you expend to accept or reject that thought that I expressed? Not one erg of labor is expended. You either believe it or you do not believe it.

Faith in Jesus Christ begins with hearing of Him. Once you hear of Him as in, "God is purple" you either believe what you hear or you do not believe what you hear. Faith itself is belief held over time, sustained from its inception. That is, continuous believing from the moment you first heard and believed.

Faith requires no expenditure of effort, however faith retains its health through nourishment, which is repetitive feeding on the object of faith. Nourishment is "hearing the Word" including all new hearing.

Faith can end after the nourishment ceases in the same manner that our bodies die when we stop injesting nourishment. It starves to death!

Sorry about the previous post, I pressed the "GO" button before I was ready.

6. Eladar

Eladar New Member

As I said, some don't want to admit this.

Even so, I do agree that this act is necessary. There are alot of other actions that are the result of this act, but those are acts too.

7. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

As I said, some don't want to admit this.

Even so, I do agree that this act is necessary. There are alot of other actions that are the result of this act, but those are acts too.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No action on our part is necessary. God alone saves us. We are saved by faith given to us by the Holy Spirit not on account of a faith that we have earned through the merit of the "decision."

Justification is a judicial act not a process. God has rendered his verdict. On the basis of the active and passive obedience of his incarnate Son offered up vicariously for us, God tells us that we are righteous. And, through faith, we lay hold of the righteousness of Christ that justifies the guilty man.

8. Eladar

Eladar New Member

You must throw out alot of scripture in order to come to this conclusion.
    Obedience is an action. You contradict yourself.

9. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

You must throw out alot of scripture in order to come to this conclusion.
    Obedience is an action. You contradict yourself.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No action on our part is required. The scriptural basis for justification by faith alone is provided in the Apology to the Augsburg Confession as referenced in my August 20th post.

10. Eladar

Eladar New Member

The why is self control a sign of the spirit?

By the way, obedience is still an action.
    As I said, in order to hold this view, one must throw out alot of scripture. One scripture does not deny another. All it does is show that God is beyond our understanding.

The Bible is clear that our salvation is linked to our actions. See Galatians 5.

11. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

12. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Faith alone huh?

How about repentance?

Does faith without repentance save?

If not, then so much for "faith alone".

13. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

The why is self control a sign of the spirit?

By the way, obedience is still an action.
    As I said, in order to hold this view, one must throw out alot of scripture. One scripture does not deny another. All it does is show that God is beyond our understanding.

The Bible is clear that our salvation is linked to our actions. See Galatians 5.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The obedience of another is not an "act" that we ourselves do. Believing the other "acted" is what occurs in us and is not an "act" but rather a condition that changes our faith that resulted in us from the "act" of the other. He did it, believe it or not!

Our "actions" are the result of our faith condition. That is, we do in accordance with what we believe in! The belief we have is not the "act", but just as our belief influences what we do, what we do influences what we believe. Likewise, what others do also influences what we believe. I would never have driven a car if I did not see others driving cars. If they can do it, I can do it. I would never have run off a cliff with nothing but a framework of tubes and fabric called a "hang-glider" if I had not first witnessed others doing it and believed in my own heart that I too could do that. What a thrill it is to soar free from all but the glider and the wind. Much of my behavior now relates back to that first time when I acted on my belief that I too could do that.
    Believing and Not-believing are not "actions", no effort involve in either.

14. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Faith alone huh?

How about repentance?

Does faith without repentance save?

If not, then so much for "faith alone".
    </font>[/QUOTE]How can there be faith without sorrow for sins?

15. trying2understand

I'm not OSAS so I really can't answer that question.

Those who hold to OSAS seem to believe that unrepented sin after the one time saving expression of faith makes no difference.

So if you can have faith without repentance after being saved, why can you not have faith without repentance when you get yourself saved?

16. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

I'm not OSAS so I really can't answer that question.

Those who hold to OSAS seem to believe that unrepented sin after the one time saving expression of faith makes no difference.

So if you can have faith without repentance after being saved, why can you not have faith without repentance when you get yourself saved?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not OSAS either. But Christ has promised full absolution to all who repent and trust in His merits alone.

17. trying2understand

Well then, according to the above: faith and contrition are two seperate things.

I will rephrase my question.

If you have faith but no contrition are you saved?

If not, then no faith alone.

18. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Well then, according to the above: faith and contrition are two seperate things.

I will rephrase my question.

If you have faith but no contrition are you saved?

If not, then no faith alone.
    </font>[/QUOTE]How can there be faith without sorrow for sins?

19. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Easy, you just have faith that Jesus will forgive your sins and that's that.

20. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Easy, you just have faith that Jesus will forgive your sins and that's that. </font>[/QUOTE] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 2 Cor. 7:9,10