1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth and what it means to me

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Matt22:37-39, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

I was thinking tonight while in the hot tub, about something I had written earlier and is what I said true for most, or am I the rare case? I said, pretty much “Is it better to stand for TRUTH and what is RIGHT than to be LIKED” many would say it is better to be liked. I’m not talking about just what you say, but what you do as well.

Knowing my motto has always been standing up for what is right, even at the cost of something. I don’t mean to be obnoxious about it and I know at times I have, but for the most part I would have rather failed in my attempts then to COMPROMISE. As I looked back on why is this so strong for me? Why is this my motto for life and how have these TRUTHS seen me through life against ALL ODDS? I thought of four reasons I always try and go back to over and over again…..

1) TRUTH ABOUT GOD…His word is true. Am I perfect at obeying it all the time? No, but I cannot deny its truth. I may not always understand it, but I know it is ‘BEST” for me.

2) TRUTH ABOUT MYSELF. Think about it is we do not understand who we are , what we want and where are we going, and why, then how are we going to accomplish God’s will or anything we may desire that he wishes to bestow upon us? We have to go within and be honest with ourselves…what are my faults what are my weaknesses and what can I do to improve them, so I can be all that I can be, God wants me to be and what would be beneficial to those around me? It all starts with being HONEST about ME.

3) TRUTH ABOUT OTHERS. Wow this one is hard for me sometimes. I need to see others the way God see’s them. (for the most part I try and do this) I must realize that not everyone is like me. They may not want to work on their issues, or they may see things differently doesn’t make them wrong, they just think differently and are probably more RIGHT brain than I am, and that is the way it works for them. Everyone’s style of learning is different, to so many other things. I need to also be cautious and know most are not out for YOUR best interest, but often times their own. I must be aware of patterns of others that lead to a path I may not want to travel on. So understanding truth about others is important, so as not to take things so personal, and not to be taken advantage of.

4) TRUTH ABOUT THE ENEMY. I think one of the greatest thief of truth is the Devil, if he can lie to you about God and His word then he really has a hold…he digs even deeper when he lies about WHO you are in Christ that he really loves you, if he really loved you then why so much pain? He LIES about others. His greatest tool is dissension within the body and even without when we should be different.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Your post reminded me of this verse:

John 8: KJB
    31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

IMO, we all have to come to terms with the truths that you spoke about. Each in our own way as the Holy Spirit leads us. Your path may be different from mine as we walk towards that narrow gate. I'm sure my stumbling blocks will be different from yours. God's truth won't vary. Satan will attempt to deceive -- Hath God said? -- in too many ways to count.

Recently I've had to deal with some untruths and half truths that I didn't expect to encounter. (Not better half, BTW, if someone goes to thinking along those lines!) I don't know which was worse, the resulting anger or the disappointment. I'm thankful that I was aware that this was, indeed, a stumbling block in my path. Was also aware that I could choose to trip and fall or seek His help to overcome. While the wounds are still healing, HIS TRUTH has moved that block behind me. Eventually the scars will fade into distant memory.

One thing that may help, is not to dwell on all aspects of Truth. Take each day at a time, with patience and understanding that if you ask for His guidance, it will be provided when you need it. As God is ready to reveal to you. Tomorrow it may be His truth, truth about yourself, truth about others, or satan.

Psalm 25:KJB
    4 Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.

5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Pilate asked "What is truth?" while he was looking right at it. Only human beings can use truth for purposes like demeaning or belittleing someone. Telling someone the truth to edify or solve a problem is one thing. Lots of gossip goes on in churches, probably mostly truthful statements, for no other purpose than entertainment of the jaw flapper at the expense of someone's character. It is a vile sin that for the most part is not confronted, as bad as all the other sins we put on a pedestal. Sometimes it is just best to shut up.

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Matt your thread title sums up the problem in society, and the church, very well. In the post-modern era the mindset is..."What truth means to me is...". Or put in the usual way it would be..."I feel.....".

The points you all have made are on target. We need to come to God and seek what is really truth. Then we have to stand for that truth regardless of the cost.

The contrast is rather stark.

God to me is.... or God tells us in His Word He is....
    I feel sin is.... or God says sin is.....

5. Matt22:37-39

Thank You Oldtimer :thumbs:

6. Matt22:37-39

:godisgood:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.