1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Truthfully, what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Truthfully, what do we think? Are you suggesting some of us may be untruthful at times?

Maybe they took one look at him and decided he ought to be sitting under an umbrella to keep from falling out beneath the hot sun. It's clear from the photo that this is not his usual habitat.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I was wondering the same thing. The man is (let's face it) overweight, and it appears to be warm, maybe even hot. The brothers helping him were doing the proper thing, watching over the shepherd. Why does everyone in the church have to embrace that which is supposedly "politically correct"?

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Pinoy,
    I have heard that term all my life, the third world. No one ever explained what the first and second world were.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are correct in that aspect. I have been to Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Panama, Martinique, Aruba, Puerto Rico, England, Scotland, Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Sardinia, Portugal, Israel, Libya, Morocco, Algeria and some others that escape me at the moment. Every country has its own customs and traditions. One is well advised to learn them before entering as either a missionary or tourist. Some of these countries have rich people who are not as well off as our poor in the United States.

I liked the picture you posted. Some of the purest hearts I have seen are kids in some of these nations that basically have nothing. Everyone should travel overseas and compare it to what we have here in this nation. Even in the European countries, one would notice a big difference.

The longest time I spent in any other nation was one year in Greece, the islands and Turkey.

Another poster was right. Without knowing their traditions or the context of the picture, it is impossible to judge.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is so easy to only look through our eyes and condemn because our view is different from that perspective of others.

It is hard to see, and I may be wrong, but in the lower left side, are the blurs not children sitting and playing?

What makes folks on the BB think the gospel is being shared?

Could this not be some Afrikaner demonstration of power during apartheid?

Could it not be that the two men are believers who are demonstrating the character of grace in the midst of tyranny?

Or perhaps they are not believer's at all, but leaders of the village who are showing proper deference to the tyrant in hope of personal gain?

A picture without explanation can be taken in many different concepts.

6. Archie the Preacher

I'm not going to try to second guess the man, but at BEST this photo is bad public relations.

That is just NOT the image a Christian missionary wants to present.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Fascinating there actually is a basis for the term, though "third" gets used a lot more and probably a lot less accurately.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and here I've been thinking that 'third world' means those who are underdeveloped economically, therefore poor and kowtowing to the more developed ones.
    I just came back from front of the bathroom mirror where I watched myself conk me in the head for being so stupid.
    :laugh:

9. Squidward

Squidward Member

My observations:

- He obviously was not prepared nor was he accustomed to hot, arid weather which may be happening here.

- He may have been ministering for awhile and gotten a little overcome by heat which these two gentlemen were more than happy to assist the man in his sermon or whatever he was doing.

- I'm guessing this is his first trip to this area and was completely taken by surprise by the weather.

- I'm hoping he does deal with his weight issue as weight and poor eating habits only hinder and eventually limit or end one's ability to be a servant for God.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks

I see humility in my African brothers...I just felt there were probably better pictures to post. Pictures that didn't make this preacher look like he was lord and master, say back in the 1800s?

No I only know this brother by name on line, and I purposely didn't want to share too much about the background of this particular picture. I wanted to solicit first view comments, and I got a wide variety of opinions, like I expected to get from this board!

As for me, like I said, it was a bad example to be setting by way of photo, regarding his trip to Africa! Yes, he was totally unprepared, in many ways, including the fact that he claims he had to leave after a week of the planned 40-day trip, because none of the banks in the country, he was in would accept his American Express Travelers checks!

As for being hyper-critical, if I was, so were a few of you who responded, especially those who commented about his weight. You judged me for being critical of this brother, yet; you judged his weight, going so far as to poke sarcasm!

I guess we are all in need of attitude adjustments! I was only criticizing him for using this photo, when he had so many others that spoke so much more highly of his trip! I was going to write him, with my opinions, but you helped me to see the short-sidedness in my views. May my views help some of you to not be so critical of the overweight preachers. Even though it's a sin of gluttony, it is no less a sin then what some of you do in your comments to others on line!

Moral of the story:: We all have some way to travel and things to learn before we get to the place, many of us think we have already reached, while we wait to board the rapture express!

Thanks for all your views. They were eye opening to say the least!

One last word - Archie said it best. This was bad public relations! One more thing. After this preacher got back, in an effort to point out the conditions of this country, he posted an article titled. (name of country) is in the top ten of world's poorest. I know what he was trying to do; BUT, it drew tons of criticsm from people that lived in this country! I think, if anything, he needs a public relations manager to make sure if and when he returns, he doesn't get run out of their country!

#30 righteousdude2, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  11. pk4life

pk4life Member

His picture ought to be removed from here, and you ought to shut your mouth and not continue this. Go email HIM with all this information.

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hey, you'd be surprised. one of the few reasons that cemented my opposition to missionism among the PB's in the early 2000's was because some of the Filipino pastors have begun calling one of those PB's "pope". you get the implications.
    and then one of them American PB's began calling the Filipinos he felt was in his "charge" as "my Filipinos".
    probably nothing 'sinister' on both sides, but I just somehow didn't feel comfortable.
    call me "pudding' hearted or onion-skinned, but there it is.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:laugh: I was in Africa last year. This is an awful picture. The people in the churches over there, at least where I was, are very dedicated servants. ANd that's what we tell missionaries when they are going out is that we're launching you out like Jesus: as a SERVANT.

This looks bad in so many ways. You've got this man who looks like he hasn't missed any part of any meals (and like he's eaten the portions of some others while he was at these meals) sitting and being waited on . Unless everybody else is under an umbrella, he should choose to not be.

Now granted, I don't know if he hadn't already had a heat stroke and they were trying to keep him cool. But this is an AWFUL picture. But I don't think it should have been posted without his okay. Address it directly with him because he may not fully understand what this looks like.

#33 Zaac, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  14. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you ...

Do you ...
    .... feel better no that that is off your chest? This board is such a great place as it permits all of us to have a say, regardless of how caustic, helpful, insightful, or revealing it may be! Bless you for sharing! :smilewinkgrin:

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of you suggest...

... I address him with my concerns ... if I thought that would help, believe me I'd have done this. This brother does not take criticism, and does not like to be second guessed. I only posted this to get a concensus to see if I was off base! It is good to know that I'm not that far out in left field, all by myself.

As for posting this without his permission ... the god and bad thing about the net is, once you post something, it is there for the public's grabbing! I did nothing wrong, other than to see if I may have been too critical! Like I said, Archie, and a few others felt like me ... this picture should never have been posted by him to show his being in Africa!

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully agree.

17. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then he likely has some spiritual issues.

yup. if he posted this (not you) then he does have some unrecognized spiritual issues.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Agreed. Thank you.

19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup he sure nuff did and does!

He posted this, plus a photo of the countries capitol with a all caps by line that says this nation is rankined in the top ten of the porrest nations in the world.

He also posted the following prophesy [and this will show you why I was concerned, YET glad when God shut him down on day 8 of a planned 40 day trip]: "I am now less than 48 hours before that big silver bird starts winging me to @%#$^&*. I have been hesitant to share this before, because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea of who I am. I remain a simple believer in The Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Power of the His Spirit to work miracles. As a disciple I try to obey God in everything He asks of me. Here is what I haven't wanted to share for... fear of sounding to big headed: @%#$^&*, get ready, God is going to rock you're country. He is about to bring true repentance that will lead to people being changed, healed, and delivered. God is going to shake @%#$^&* like a mighty wind blows a piece of dust. The wind of God's anointing is going to set the captives free, heal the broken hearted, and proclaim liberty to those who are bound. When God blows His mighty wind on you, you will never be the same, if, you move with the wind you will see Him move. If you try to move opposite the wind you will go nowhere. Allow God to change you, you will change your nation! God declares an end to the bondages that hold you back. God will free you from feeling like the tail and not the head. When His righteousness is established you will become a light, set upon a high hill that will light the way for other countries. This day will be an "aha" moment for you, the day you say: now I understand. One day every knee will bow, every tongue confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord over @%#$^&*! Join with Him and proclaim the goodness of The Lord!"

This brother also, unintentionally [I believe] caused several pastors in the country to become enraged against other pastors thaey once got along with, and that disagreement started by this preacher, forced a Prayer Conference to be canceled, A conference that was to have over 100 pastors from all over their country attend for three days of teaching and prayer. This brother did and said things that caused divisions to take palce. Then he left when the hotels and banks suddenly stopped taking his American Express Travelers checks!

I think God did an amazing thing, and now I am working to help heal some of the damage his brief trip caused. Even the photo he posted, that I posted here, has touched off resentment and anger towards him, while other defend him!

The trip was a shambles, and I just needed to get input in case I was wrong in what I was concerned over. Now I can confidently respond to some of my brothers in this country and say, I think this brother was out of line, and know it isn't my disdain or dislike of him that is the center of that disdain!

So thanks for all your input. It was helpful more than you will ever realize! :type: