1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Trying to live a Victorious Christian Life?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, Apr 2, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Doubtful there will be a response, either.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thisnumbersdisconnected

Thanks for the response and the good link by Gill:wavey:
    Our theology has some marked differences Dconn. When I can agree or find something positive...I would like to mention that before getting to the points of contention. Thank you for taking the time to offer the good link.
    [QUOTE(warning, this is going to be lengthy):
    Quote:
    ][/QUOTE]

you do not need to warn me about the length of the link,,,I enjoy the read and verses offered ...even if we come to different conclusions.

I think the context supports my original contention and here is why I say that;

1]
    This directive is outward against the enemies of the cross...not inward as in struggling to mortify sin
    2]
    This suggests an apologetic ministry directed by the Spirit at enemies of the gospel......do you see it?

3] He continues with more of the same.....about gospel proclamation advancing the Kingdom worldwide;
    While Paul addresses these other concerns elsewhere...that is not in view here.

3]here he mentions how the Apostles did this....it once again is something external to themselves;
    See ...again external and apologetic

In Romans 7 or 1st and 2nd Tim..Paul addresses these concerns.....not here in 2 cor10 however.

#62 Iconoclast, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Van
    Lets see:

1) Learn all Christ taught and commanded.
    2) Strive to follow and obey all that Christ taught and commanded.
    3) Teach others by word and deed all Christ taught and commanded.
    4) Keep your eyes on the prize, "welcome home, faithful servant."[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup::applause:

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thisnumbersdisconnected

Brevity is not the issue...if you want brevity:

The issue should be clarity.....what to do, and how to do it...might take much more than 5 hours

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

My point in continually referring to the five hours is that you can spend five hours in misleading preaching -- Prettyman engages in the hyperbole of disparaging what he determines to call "Struggle Theology," as C4K and I have pointed out before -- or you can spend five minutes in studying the theology of the Bible, which is much more satisfying and accurate. Secondly, your reference to Luke 9:62 speaks not of sin, but of the worldly concerns of the pastor. Plowing is not a sin, but it is a distraction from preaching the gospel. Gill points out Beza's back-reference to the calling of Elisha by Elijah.
    1 Kings 19, NASB
    19 So he departed from there and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, while he was plowing with twelve pairs of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth. And Elijah passed over to him and threw his mantle on him. ​
    Regarding the Luke passage, after citing Beza, Gill goes on to say:
    I have long looked at Luke 9:62 in this way, but I figured you would find Gill more authoritative. :laugh:

Yet again, the context of the earlier verses I quoted from 2 Corinthians 10 speaks of the church, and Gill says so himself. For that one verse to revert to speaking of the unsaved challenges the credibility of the entire passage. It doesn't do so, but remains on-target in speaking to believers.
    Here, you agree with me. I hope it was intentional. :smilewinkgrin:

You'll note, in reviewing my posts, I have repeatedly said that the "how to do it" aspect is hard. The "what to do" is a matter of study, and again, five hours of misleading preaching is not the way to go about it. That latter part will take longer than five minutes, too -- the above was speaking semi-facetiously, to make a point. But the choice is the readers/listeners. However he/she can get the message, the delivery system is unimportant. But Prettyman's five-hour sermon series enters the realm of the unbiblical, and for that reason is to be rejected regardless of how that teaching might otherwise be received.

#65 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will listen to the rest of this series later on today....Lord willing. DID AGREE WITH THE LAST PART OF WHAT WAS POSTED.Not with the first half

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Close enough for government work, huh? :laugh: