1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trying to understand "personal relationship" with Jesus

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Psalm116, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Psalm116

Psalm116 New Member

I have a question about the origin of the phrase "personal relationship with Jesus."
    I have looked in the bible but cannot find anything that specifically mentions that as a criteria for being saved. How do you explain it to unbelievers who are interested or to other Christians to whom the concept is foreign?

Catholics, I would presume, believe they have a personal relationship with Christ at every mass.

My dh, who was raised Presby. believes intellectually that Jesus is the son of God, but does not have a personal relationship with him.

How do we know it is required?

In Him,
    sarah

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The phrase is a result of the mindset of today that is ushey-gushey.

The truth behind it is real though. We become sons and daughters of God by faith alone in Christ.

3. David Mark

David Mark New Member

It is interesting to meditate on this.

The relationship to the Father is clear to me. I am his child and he is my Father. I focus on that relationship a lot. I never forget for one nano-second who shed his blood to make that relationship possible.

That is one of the reasons the Lord's supper means so much to me. I do it in remembrance of Jesus. He says remember me and what I have done for you. What he did for me is beyond words and beyond most of my comprehension so I consider the request to remember him as a passionate plea from him.

I also know that I have a relationship to Jesus. He is my savior and as I understand it he is my brother. He is the first born of many brethren. He is a high priest for me. He prays for me now. He makes intercession on my behalf. If I keep his words and do what he instructed me to do he calls me his friend.

I also have a relationship with the Holy Spirit. This Spirit lives in me. He is my comforter and my counselor. He leads me into all truth. Any kind of counselor is someone who wants to speak with me. Any kind of comforter is someone who speaks to me.

It's all very personal and like any good relationship it takes work.

Just thinking out loud.

Dave [​IMG]