1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tsunami Mission Work

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 12, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Our church is in the process of planning a mission trip to Indonesia to help with clean up and demolition work in the continued recovery from the Tsunami.

Has anyone been there? Just curious as to what work you did and what things are like there?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

PastorSBC,

A couple of our missionaries went with some of our Mexican pastors last year not too long after the event. That was last year so any info might be outdated for your purposes. However if you want, I can see if one of the men who went can send you info via e-mail. PM me and let me know.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have a friend from seminary that lives there. You probably already have a contact, but if you need some info, I could probably help ya out.

4. PastorSBC1303

We have a contact person through the IMB. But any info you could provide, I would be interested in

I am really excited about this opportunity, I have never been out of the US.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

When is the trip?

6. PastorSBC1303

We are working with our contact person to set the official date, but it is looking right now that it will be the middle of June, if that does not work then probably August.

7. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello! [​IMG] Read this in the news recently....

It's about budget airfare US$129 Between Singapore and (among other destinations including europe) America (Oakland and Chicago). This is by Oasis Airlines, first long haul budget carrier from HK.

They start this service in the summer season.

you can catch another plane to Sumatra on buget airlines Tiger airways from here, singapore. you won't believe it but they can offer fares as low as US$ 4.00 Not kidding. the airport tax is much higher than the air ticket. see tiger airways here.

btw... singapore (where i am) was saved from the tsunami by the island of Sumatra. Aceh was the worst hit.

8. PastorSBC1303

Thanks, I appreciate it [​IMG]

I believe the area of Aceh is where we will be going. And it is looking like right now it will be the middle of August.

9. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will you have to get your own plane tickets? Or that's gonna be arranged for you? Coming on budget will mean several stop overs, so that's the minus part of it.

Do keep an eye out for Oasis Hong Kong Airlines. They start the service in June.

And from Singapore, Tiger Airways lands in Padang, which is south east of Aceh. (If you see on the website now, they;re offering S$9.98 tickets. That's roughly US$4!!!) There's another airport on Sumatra island in Medan (that's where all the relief missions operated out of during the aftermath of the tsunami.)

I've been to Medan. It's a chaotic city. Traffic going in all directions (like head on into on- coming traffic) and everyone sounds their horns.
    But there's a faithful IFB church there. Amen! [​IMG]
    They have the bible and hymnals in Bahasa Indonesia.

Well, if it'll your first trip out of the US, just be prepared for a bit of a culture shock! ;)
    Corruption is rampant in Indonesia. The people are just not paid enough and resort to "under table money" to suppliment their income. You may encounter that at the airport. They'll take away your passport (like i'm talking the airport staff) and you'll only get it back if you produce a fee for some imaginary trespass. So hold on to your important documents and be very cautious.

My friend's Irish uncle went to India on a short mission trip and months after he came back, he was nagging at his family not to waste water, food, electricity etc. after seeing the harsh poverty over there.

What would you like to know about the region?

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor, this will absolutely change your life! May God richly bless your trip. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now i do hope that I have not dampened your spirit... [​IMG]

12. PastorSBC1303

Su, we do have to get our own plane tickets, etc. Our Missions team leader is taking care of that for us and I have passed along all the information you gave to me. I greatly appreciate it.

We have set dates now for when we are going, it is August 12-25. We are going to Banda Aceh. We will be working with SBC missionaries already on the field. We are not sure on the exact work yet, but we will be doing things such water sanitation, mosquito fogging, and contstruction/deconstruction projects. There also will be opportunities for prayer walking and possibily some English as a second language work. We have had 10 people in our church express interest in going with 5 solid commitments.

John, I know it will change my life and I am very excited about the opportunity!

Thanks for the information and any prayers!

13. PastorSBC1303

Not in the least! Thanks again. [​IMG]

14. PastorSBC1303

sorry for double post

15. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, i'm glad i could be of some help. [​IMG]

12-25? Aw..that's hardly two weeks! Anyway, if you have some time in Singapore, I'd be happy to show you around!

16. PastorSBC1303

2 weeks is an eternity for my wife and 4 daughters [​IMG] [​IMG]

According to the calendar I saw the SBC has teams coming in for 2 week stays all summer long. Our group can accomplish a lot of work in 2 weeks. [​IMG]

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind.

17. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a wife with four small ones so i can totally relate to that....