1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Turning a deaf ear to the Word on the Sabbath.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There have been so many philosophical threads in a row now, a big bang may bring the debatees back to r-e-a-l Scripture for a change.

Have any of you known Luke had a special name for the Seventh Day Sabbath? "The For-to-Hear-the-Word-of-God-Sabbath"? Acts 13:44, "Tohi de sabbatohi akousai ton logon tou theou".

He distinguishes this the 'ordinary' Christian day of worship from the 'ceremonial' feast-sabbaths, which he called the 'in-between-sabbath(s)', "metacsy sabbaton". No less than eight 'sabbaths' occurred during this period of Pauls' visit to Pisidia, within just three weeks! They were Tisri 1, 10, 15, 22 and 4, 11, 18 and 22:
    1 Tisri
    10 Tisri
    15 Tisri

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I always find your topics a bit confusing

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To confuse is my life's mission! Read Job and the crocodile that submerges under the water in BIG confusion and terbulance of waters. Afrikaans has "like grey hair". That's me in the years that may be granted me by God's grace.

But no, there's nothing confusing about Acts 13 and the 'sabbaths' in it. Paul arrives in Pisidia and preaches "on the sabbath" - Luke gives no description of this sabbath, whether it was an ordinary weekly Sabbath, or a Great Day sabbath at the beginning of the Seventh Month. That it was the month of Tisri is obvious from the content of Paul's sermon. Mark the similarity with Peter's sermon on Pentecost; virtually identical. Most fitting for the occasion. Then the Jews reject the Gospel and the Gospel rejects the Jews: i.e., "Day of Judgment"= "Day of Atonement" lost!! for the Jews. The "times of the Jews" have run out, and the era of the Gentiles had begun. That means one finds a month filled with 'sabbaths' 'ceremonial' and 'regular'. As you know the Feast sabbaths floated through the days of the week; they could occur on any day of the seven week-days. Luke calls these - or the one the heathen requested the Gospel might be preached to them - an "in-between-sabbath" (as above). Then, the proselites and the believeing Jews came together - New-Testament-Church, "On the-to-hear-the-Word-of-God-Sabbath", the Seventh Day-Sabbath of the LORD your God, and first time in the history of mankind, the Word was 'officially' delivered to the salvation of the Elect. Luke uses the Infinitive of Noun Force as the 'technical name' virtually, of this Day of worship-peace, "On the-to-hear-the-Word-of-God-Sabbath".

There's nothing confusing about these facts; it's most instructive, and they are MEANT TO BE DISTURBING. May the world - the Sunday-worshippers - HEAR, the Apostolic Church had its Day of CHRISTIAN worship: The Seventh Day of the LORD your God, "The Lord's Day" -- the Day Jesus the Son of Man is Lord of!!

The Seventh Day Adventist Church - as the 'charismatic' churches here in South Africa - has thrown me out by the neck because I propagate these TRUTHS. Only the Reformed Churches are lending me a tolerating ear. Not that they have DONE something about it -- YET!