1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TV and Radio preaching

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by S. Jensen, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Chet

Chet New Member

S. Jenson, thanks so much for asking.

I think back about three years ago when I was able to lead a young man about 22 years old to the Lord. Boy does he have a great life changing testimony. I also discipled him in the early stages of his Bible studies. He was a very sharp man, understood things very well. I had a list of people for him to listen to on the radio, John MacArthur was not on my list. But he listened anyway :cool: He would come into work and ask me questions about his teachings, that were contrary to what I was showing him the bible taught. Especially concerning Salvation. This greatly bothered me.

John MacArthur teaches salvation from the Sermon on the Mount. Matthew 5-8. In that sermon Jesus was speaking to the Nation of Israel about a earthly kingdom, not about salvation. Nowhere in that sermon does Jesus mention the cross or offer the plan of Salvation, which is to believe. Matthew presents Jesus as the King of Israel. John MacArthur fails greatly in the dividing of the Scripture.
    Here is a brief (real brief) overview of John MacArthur's veiw of Salvation:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>1. Must Repent from your sins. You MUST turn from them before you can receive salvation.
    2. You must recognize His Lordship, which means you are willing to submit to Him as He is Lord, thus making Him master of your life
    3. Which then proceeds the act of obedience to Him.
    4. Which all ties into believing on Him but this can't happen unless the above happens[/list].

I believe the true Gospel according to Jesus is simple...Believe...

I want to answer your question about Lordship Salvation. I believe strongly without question that Jesus is Lord. But I do not believe that the way of Salvation teaches that the lost must first accept His Lordship in their lives before they can believe. Jesus offers Himself to us as a Savior, not as our Lord. We must submit to his saving grace, not obey Him in Lordship. Once we have been saved, then we recognize Jesus more and more through the Spirt, as Lord. I believe this can only happen after we receive the Spirit of God, after Salvation.
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1 Cor 12:3
    3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
    (KJV)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a very well written book on this exact subject I would suggest Charles Ryrie's SO GREAT SALVATION. You can purchase it on the following link
    CBD ORDER PAGE

With Great Love,

Chet

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: Chet ]

2. fwbbcflames

fwbbcflames New Member

Jessie Duplantis seems to be one of the most mentioned names, but I don't think so. Seems like there are more jokes than bible. He can be entertaining, but I don't think he is a good preacher. MacArthur is one of the best preacher/teacher alive. I like Hagee, I think he preaches the truth. Rob Morgan of Donelson Fellowship in Nashville Tn is a great preacher.

3. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I injoy lisening to Dr. James Scudder,Zola Levit,Ben Hayden. Though Levit and Hayden are not baptist what I have seen has alway been scriptural. I also still listen to Dr. Charles Stanley though I believe his preaching has suffered since the divorce. :(

4. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

The Tv ministries that are shown on my screen are ..Joyce Meyers (love her) Richard and Lindsay Roberts (they've blessed me so much)...and radio would be Dawson McCalister Live...I also wish Eastman Curtis had a radio or tv ministry...I would be tuned in 24/7. If you are a teenager, I would also suggest the late night tv ministry of Al Denson (ccm singer) -dar

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet:
    I really have a problem with John MacArthur. Perhaps it would be wise to start a thread just on his teachings. I like that he is against the Pentecostal movement, but that's about it. He is Hyper-Calvinist, holds to Lordship Salvation, and his whole teaching on the gospel according to Jesus is wrong. A careful examination of his teaching will result in a conclusion that he does teach a works salvation.
    Chet
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet, you'd best check out the hyper-calvinism thread, for you are apparently confused as to what hyper-calvinism is.

6. 4xBlessed

4xBlessed New Member

I used to watch Hagee all the time, but quit when I saw him being a hypocrite. He would preach about the wrongness of some of the stuff going on in the charismatic churches, but later had one of his cruise-ship things with Kenneth Copeland.

Lucy

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

J. Vernon McGee, Ben Hayden, Oliver B. Green and Adrian Rodgers. Not bad two are here and two have gone home.

8. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

Ok..I'm not a big fan of the guy myself, but just because Haggee had Copeland on his ship does that mean he had to agree with him 100%? Could it be that the man just enjoyed the fellowship and company of another christian? hmmm ;) -dar

9. Ars

Ars New Member

Quotes of a Television Preacher loved by some on this particular post. Try and guess who the person was that said these?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The [Jewish] people wanted Him to be their Messiah, but He absolutely refused. The Jews were not rejecting Jesus as Messiah, it was Jesus who was refusing to be the Messiah to the Jews!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The Jewish people have a relationship to God through the law of God as given through Moses. I believe that every Gentile person can only come to God through the cross of Christ. I believe that every Jewish person who lives in the light of the Torah, which is the word of God, has a relationship with God and will come to redemption.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The law of Moses is sufficient enough to bring a person into the knowledge of God until God gives him a greater revelation. And God has not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Dajuid ]

10. spudgin

spudgin New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: John Hagee? :eek: :eek: :(

11. Ars

Ars New Member

spudgin gets a cookie!

12. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

As far as T.V. evangelists are concerned, the grand majority are opportunistic money loving heathens that use the name of Christ for nothing but ill gain even at the expense of peoples souls.
    A Godly radio preacher preaches his messages ffrom the Bible and not from his feelings. If he doesn't back up his message with scripture, that will be your fist clue to tune him out. Before you start listening to them you need to learn basic Biblical truths from your church. That will keep you from getting indoctrinated by radio preachers that twist the truth. :eek:

13. the 'I AM' hath sent me

Hi, I am a Baptist. I was a pentecostal for about a year.

I had to comment on Jesse D. He is way out on a limb. I would almost consider him one of the false teachers spoken of in the Bible.
    His ministry is all about making a person feel good and laugh. Nothing about salvation and repentence. The first time I ever heard him I knew something was wrong.

Charles Stanley, I don't know too much about him. But I will say I don't think a person who gets a divorce unless it is for the reasons specified in the Bible, should be a pastor.

John Hegee, I would agree. I enjoy his preaching. And he does preach the truth. So far since I've been listening and watching.

But get this, him and ole Jesse D. are friends. Kind of makes you wonder if John H. is all that he seems to be.

I would suggest Chuck Swindel and Billy Graham. Also David Jeremiah.

But I'd have to say the best Pastor anywhere is Jesus Christ Himself.

God Bless you,
    Kenneth
    :D

14. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

LOL so what if John and Jesse are friends? My mother in law is IFB as well as kjvonly and I am very charismatic but not only are we in laws but we're also friends with each other and the best thing we have in common is Jesus Christ himself. We can have very different beliefs and still be friends with each other and I would hope thats the case since we're also related in Jesus. ;) -dar

15. War_Eagle

War_Eagle New Member

A couple of you guys said that you have a hard time listening to radio preachers because of radio reception.

I just wanted to let you all know that an excellent place to hear preaching over the internet is http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/

There are roughly 100 of the more popular "media ministries" to choose from including many of those mentioned here (minus the WOF'ers).

16. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

My favourite radio preacher is "Brother Stair," the so-called "Last Day Prophet of God" broadcasting out of Walterboro, SC.

Hey, no one said our favourite had to tell us anything useful. But he sure is entertaining!

(My favourite useful radio preacher is John MacArthur, hands down.)

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Ransom ]