1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TV dads

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 4, 2011.

1. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I would agree with #2, 3, & 5 and would add Jim Anderson (Father Knows Best) and Heathcliff Huxtable (The Cosby Show)

2. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would cast my 5 votes for best TV dads as.

1. Andy Griffith (Andy Griffith Show)
    2. Ward Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver)
    3. Cliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby Show)
    4. Charles Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie
    5. (4 way tie) Jim Anderson (Father Knows Best), Steven Douglas (My Three Sons), Ozzie Nelson (Ozzie & Harriet) and Alex Stone (Donna Reed Show)

Oh, I realize that these are only actors as I assume everyone else does. (thought I would throw that in for clarification for those who feel the need to explain this to us)

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Wasn't Hugh Beaumont, the actor who played Ward Cleaver in "Leave it to Beaver," an ordained clergyman (Methodist, I think)?

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

He was licensed to preach, but not ordained (one must complete their seminary in some form, as that is where ordination occurs).

What of some of the actors and actresses, some of whom played dads on television, who were openly gay in real life:

Heather Matarazzo
    Neil Patrick Harris
    Luke MacFarland
    Sarah Gilbert
    Ellen DeGeneres
    Robert Reed (father from Brady Bunch)
    Portia De Rosi
    Rosie O'Donnell
    Raymond Burr
    Dick Sargent
    Paul Lynde
    Charles Nelson Reilly
    George Takei
    Lily Tomlin
    Jim Nabors
    Dan Butler
    Rupert Everett
    Samantha Fox
    Stephen Fry
    Cynthia Nixon
    Margaret Cho
    Alan Cumming
    Edward Hibbert
    Nathan Lane
    Rosie O'donnell

And movie stars:

William Haines (1900-1973 Silent movie star,his lover is Jimmy Shields,his boss fired him because he dont wanna hiding this relationship)
    Rock Hudson (1925┄1985 died of AIDS,his last boifriend is Marc Christian)
    Ramon Novarro (1899-1968 Silent movie star)
    Montgomery Clift (1920-1966 Elizabeth Taylor loved him,but he is gay)
    James Dean (1931-1955 he has a relationship with director Rogers Brackett)
    Marlon Brando (1924-2004 his partner is Wally Cox,they were buried together in a place called “Death Valley”)
    Laurence Olivier (1907-1989 Vivien Leighs‘second husband,his boyfriend is Danny Kaye)
    Cary Grant (1904-1986 his boyfriend is Randolph Scott,lived together over 11 years in san monica)
    Richard Chamberlain (1934- live in Hawaii with his boyfriend Martin Rabbett)
    Kerwin Mathews (1926-2007 his boyfriend Tom Nicoll is a manager,work in “Harvey Nichols.Co”,they live together 46 years)
    George Nader (1921-2002 Mark Miller is hes lover and manager,they wrote a novel togeter called"The Perils of Paul",its talk about gay in hollywood)
    Tab Hunter (1931- his exboyfriend is Anthony Perkins,but now is Allan Glaser,Anthony dead of AIDS)
    Ivor Novello (1893 -1951 openly gay,his lover is Bobby Andrews)
    Roddy McDowall (1928-1998 he was a child actor)
    Raymond Burr (1917-1993 his lover and business Partner-Robert Benevides)
    Tommy Kirk (1941- he was a child star of Disney,but he has been fired because he was gay)
    Laurence Harvey (1928-1973 His friend have written a book says he was gay n his real lover is his manager James Woolf)
    Van Johnson (1916-2008 his wife was forced to marry him)
    George Maharis (1928- he was arrestted in 1974 because he has sex with a male hairdressers in mens room)
    Dirk Bogarde (1921-1999 his botfriend and manager--Anthony Forwood)
    Sal Mineo (1939-1976 he said he love Jame dean and he has many gay sex partners)

Of course, this list is only a brief, easily found compilation of those who have made public their homosexual tendencies.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did graduate with a Master of Theology. Not sure if he was ordained, but he was a lay minister.
    He did not serve in WWII as he was a conscientious objector.

His thoughts on being an actor and minister:
    Sometimes my work as an actor presents a conflict with my ideals as a clergyman. I don't believe in the old saying that the end justifies the means, and no money that I can earn as an actor can accomplish so much good that I would feel justified in violating my ideals to earn it... If the question ever arises in a serious way, of course I would have to give up my acting.

Click here for his full bio,

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Excellent post - I agree 110%

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How in the world is that even remotely related to the OP? Is the BB home to tabloid fodder now?

She has not been an actress on TV.

I was a Camp Counselor in the period of 1969-192 when rumors of a "relationship" between Nabors and Rock Hudson surfaced. It was totally bogus.

Nabors has never been "jolly" (in a manner of speaking). You need to leave slander to the professionals of the rag mags.

She gets double mention for some reason?

It's a little weird to be listing deceased individuals in the present tense.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your list. I'm in agreement.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good list!