1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TV Preachers

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Brian30755, Aug 11, 2005.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Ken,

I couldnt agree more regarding that! I see from your profile we have some common interests. I'm pretty eclectic regarding music, but by far my favorite is bluegrass and other variations "old timey" music.

And even more so if its gospel bluegrass. The band I play with is gospel bluegrass and we have had a couple of folks recently get saved at our bookings. One was at a church...but the other was at a non-church venue.

"Wherever 2 or 3 are gathered in my name..."

God bless,

Mike [​IMG]

2. born again and again

A recent expose in the L.A. Times revealed that most of KTBN's contributors are at or near the poverty level. These same people argue that KTBN is the only decent thing on TV.

Of course KTBN does not get most of its money from these contributors. The owners have amassed quite a real estate empire. And everyone, religious or not, should see their headquarters building off the 405 freeway near Huntington Beach. Just be careful if you take the tour, you might get trapped inside for a live broadcast. If you do, watch for the "showy Christians", fighting for the camera.

It's simply a very impressive operation. Can't really tell whether or not it is truly Christian, though.

3. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I enjoy 10,11, and 12.

4. born again and again

Yeah, I hear ya, hill, but there's no one like the former reverend Gene Scott.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Too be fair, there have been many studies done on contributors to charities. It's been shown over and over that those who have less tend to give more than those who have more. This is true even in our own pews. It seems that when we accumulate wealth, we tend become more greedy. Now that doesn't mean we should refrain from making more money, but when we do, we should continue to be thankful to the Lord for it.
    The nature of art and architecture in the LA/OC area is infused into the local culture. In fact, one local city (Brea) has an ordinace requiring all businesses have an item of artwork on display to the public. But TBN is not simply impressive, it's pretentiously opulent. If you want to visit architecturally pleasing churches in the area, there are several to choose from that suffice, without the opulent pretentiousness of TBN's grounds.
    There are those who work for TBN who are truly Christian and faithful believers, and I'm glad they're there. However, I think we know enough about Paul and Jan Crouch themselves to question their beliefs and business practices (combined salaries of $400K annually, to start with). I don't question their salvation, but I do question some of their doctrines. I don't however, hold every organization or person who appears or broadcasts on TBN responsible for Paul & Jan Crouch's beliefs and practices. There are many reasonably good folks on TBN, such as Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron, D James Kennedy, and Adrian Rogers, and I do not hold them accountable for the Crouch's views.

6. born again and again

And they are certainly not accountable for the views of KTBN's owners, Paul and Jan Crouch. They are merely using the forum which the Crouch's have provided.

Good point regarding those who tend to give to charity, however it misses the point that was made by the original posting. It is not the giving of the poor to charity in general, it is the appropriatness or inappropriateness of their giving to KTBN, which is a money making business.