1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TV Today

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question from Parade Magazine:
    What do you think of comedy today?

A) A lot of it I'm not thrilled with. some of the comedy I've watched on television seems to have been written by teenage boys in the locker room...."

-Carol Burnett

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me what passes for comedy in this country isn't funny. Too much smut, to much insulting, to much putting down of people. I gave up watching "comedy" shows. I agree Salty, lot of comedy is immature and adolescent.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Here in the UK, our comedy shows are different to in a lot of other countries as us Brit's are well known for having a rather dry, sarcastic sense of humour.

While I agree that a lot of what passes for comedy these days is slightly crude and smutty, there are shows that are old fashioned in the sense that they are genuinely funny rather than just trying to shock.

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You folk still have great humor on TV. I tease my UK friends that I want to move to the Yorkshire Dells and be the 4th old man on "Last of the Summer Wine".

Please don't dumb down your humor as it has been done here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I often get taken the wrong way as do a lot of our TV programs.

I've been to the US a few times on holiday and my sense of humour hasn't been appreciated. I'll come out with a comment and I'll get a confused look as if they aren't sure if I'm joking or not. I explain that I was and go on to explain the joke, but then once you've explained it, it ceases to be funny in the first place!

6. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

There are no good TV comedies today, not like there were years ago. Everything now is geared towards sex and the language leaves much to be desired. I have given up on watching TV comedies.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some folk here that understand and appreciate your humor. Sad so many do not. I found your folk in the UK really do have a wonderful sense of humor. I would tell you why I think so many Americans do not understand your humor ... but it would upset some folk here on the BB.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why else would you tell why you think so many Americans do not understand British humor? This is the BB, after all.

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with her. It would be nice to see comedy today that isn't just two hours or fart jokes.

One of the stations that shows old shows is showing the Tonight Show from the 70s and 80s. Far, far superior to anything on TV today. About the only comedy I watch on TV anymore is Last Man Standing.

I remember when people used to say they wouldn't watch Frasier because it was too smart for the room. Now, I don't think there's a show on TV you could call "smart".