1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two types of anger. When is it a sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Scripture shows us many instances of God's anger and then anger being hated by God. What is righteous anger and when do we cross the line?

Mark 3:5 And when He (JESUS) had looked around at them with anger, being grieved by the hardness of their hearts, He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored as whole as the other.

Romans 10:19 But I say, did Israel not know? First Moses says: "I will provoke you to jealousy by those who are not a nation, I will move you to anger by a foolish nation."

Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.

What do you think is meant by this verse?

Eph 4:26 "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anger

Forbidden
    Ecclesiastes 7:9; Matthew 5:22; Romans 12:19

A work of the flesh
    Galatians 5:20

A characteristic of fools
    Proverbs 12:16; 14:29; 27:3; Ecclesiastes 7:9

CONNECTED WITH
    Pride
    Proverbs 21:24
    Cruelty
    Genesis 49:7; Proverbs 27:3,4
    Clamour and evil-speaking
    Ephesians 4:31
    Malice and blasphemy
    Colossians 3:8
    Strife and contention
    Proverbs 21:19; 29:22; 30:33

Brings its own punishment
    Job 5:2; Proverbs 19:19; 25:28

Grievous words stir up
    Judges 12:4; 2 Samuel 19:43; Proverbs 15:1

Should not betray us into sin
    Psalms 37:8; Ephesians 4:26

In prayer be free from
    1 Timothy 2:8

May be averted by wisdom
    Proverbs 29:8

Meekness pacifies
    Proverbs 15:1; Ecclesiastes 10:4

Children should not be provoked to
    Ephesians 6:4; Colossians 3:21

Be slow to
    Proverbs 15:18; 16:32; 19:11; Titus 1:7; James 1:19

Avoid those given to
    Genesis 49:6; Proverbs 22:24

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, righteous anger is when you are angry at the circumstances and the events of life that defy God.

If the abortion industry makes you angry or if your heart feels anger over all the little babies that have no opportunity for life, then that is righteous anger and that is not a sin. These people are moved to do something about the abortion problem.

If you feel anger towards the doctors who perform the abortions to the extent that you despise them and feel a murdering malice towards them and it would never cross your mind to pray for them....well that is a destructive anger. You have hated them in your heart and Jesus said that is the same thing as murder.

I believe that many Christians prance around today with anger in their hearts towards their fellow human beings and consider themselves "superior" because the other person's sin is "greater". And they justify it by calling it righteous anger.

Righteous anger is a real thing. And it is not a sin. But most other anger, which is rooted in fear, jealousy, covetousness, greed, and pride, is most definitely a sin.

We have to be careful about righteous anger.

Are we angry because God is being mocked by the sinful circumstances and events? That's OK. Are we angry because God's Word is being ignored and rebelled against? That's OK, too. Are we angry because the church is asleep and has allowed the world to take over our moral nature so that you can't tell the difference between a Christian and a non-believer anymore? We should definitely be angry about that. Very angry.

Here's another of example.

I hate the alcohol industry. It makes me fighting mad when alcohol commercials come on television or when a child comes to school with cap or shirt that advertises alcohol. We have to send them home to change. I believe the Bible when it says that "beer is a brawler" and "wine is a mocker". I've seen the effects of drunkeness first hand with cousins and with friends. It makes me so angry that there is an industry that pushes and sells alcohol without a care for God's Word nor the people who consume it. That is a rightous anger.

But, there is an alcoholic man who sings in our choir. He has been sober for about a year now. He sang in our choir a few years ago when he was sober then. Between those two times, he fell off the wagon for about 18 months. He didn't sing in the choir, because he was ashamed. He didn't even come to church for that whole time period.

Our choir director didn't go and visit him. He said, "Well, that's his problem". When the man's wife asked him for counsel, he told her that she should divorce him and forget him. Our choir director was angry at this man because he had a part in a drama and when he fell off the wagon years ago, it caused a small problem in rearranging some things for the drama.

Well, the man is sober again and has been for a year. Both he and his wife sing in the choir, despite the choir director's sinful attitude. And I continue to be the church pianst, even though I believe the choir director was deeply in the wrong.

I, myself, sinned in anger of the destructive kind because I felt contempt for my choir director. I, myself, called this anger a righteous anger. But it wasn't. It was malice and hatefulness that I felt, even though I feel it no more. So you see, many times, what we think is righteous anger, is not.

Righteous anger is genuine. But most Christians misuse that concept when it applies to their own sinful anger.

We all do it.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Great examples, Scarlett!

4. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

I had gotten into a discussion about this on another board and brought up some of points like you did Scarlett and most people STILL couldn't see a difference between the two (righteous/godly and sinful/human anger.)

The basic way I try to describe the differences is. If the action that happened is directed towards you and you get angry I can almost guarantee it's sinful but if something is done against God and you get angry at that situation it's most likely righteous anger but you still have to be careful to not cross the line and make it a personal issue and turn it into a sinful action.

I believe 99.9% of the time anger is sinful. Even as Christians it seems the things we should get angry at we don't (or turn it into a more sinful anger) and most of the time the things we do God's command us to let go and give it him and instead we harbor a hatred and anger for the person who offended us. It's a hard sin to conquer not impossible (Luke 18:27 But He said, "The things that are impossible with people are possible with God.")

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I think scripture implies it's holding on to anger that is sinful and not the momentary flash of anger we all feel once in a while. 'Let not the sun go down upon your anger' implies STAYING mad and a spirit of unforgiveness.

6. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

but how often do we hold onto the anger vs letting it go. I think most people hold onto it vs letting it go.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Matthew 5:23-24 "If therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering."

Agree.... and that is sin.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Adam Clarke has the best explanation of this verse.

To answer your topic, when is it sin? Always.

James 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Anger is not a fruit of the Spirit.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Aaron, I would have to disagree with you on the point that anger is always sin. Ephesians 4:26 makes it clear that it is possible to be anger and not sin. And Jesus exhibited anger in his time on this earth, yet He did not sin.

10. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

PastorSBC1303,

You can't compare Jesus' anger to the rest of us...he was God (yes I know he was fully human too)and he had a right to be angry at what was being done. His was the righteous anger we were talking about not the human anger we tend to have.

Human anger (getting angry at something being done to us and harboring ill feeling towards the person who hurt us <-- just an example of human anger) is almost always sin.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

moeowo2 if human anger is almost always sin, then why the verse to "Be angry and do not sin..." ? Is that something we are told to do, but we are just not capable of it?

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Or this scripture:
    James 1:19 19 So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath (anger); 20 for the wrath (anger) of man does not produce the righteousness of God. 21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. 26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless.

13. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

Is it possible to not sin and be angry yes BUT we won't do it very often. Like I said it's one of the toughest sins to deal with. Remember we are dealing with a sin nature that we have to die to daily. Plus he could be talking about a righteous anger VS human anger...I don't know but either way it can become sinful.

Look at verse 20 that Diane brought up ...20 for the wrath (anger) of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

Proverbs deals alot with anger.

Prov 12:16 A fool's anger is known at once, But a prudent man conceals dishonor.

Prov 14:29 He who is slow to anger has great understanding, But he who is quick-tempered exalts folly.

Prov 15:18 A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, But the slow to anger calms a dispute.

Prov 19:19 {A man of} great anger will bear the penalty, For if you rescue {him,} you will only have to do it again.

Prov 22:24 ΒΆ Do not associate with a man {given} to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man,
    Prov 22:25 Or you will learn his ways And find a snare for yourself.

Prov 29:8 Scorners set a city aflame, But wise men turn away anger.

Prov 30:33 For the churning of milk produces butter, And pressing the nose brings forth blood; So the churning of anger produces strife.