1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two very important questions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by EdSutton, Jun 20, 2008.

1. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I thought the exact same thing. I disagree with how DHK stated that as well, but I think I understand what he is saying when I read the rest of his post. To be honest my first reaction was shock... That's why I asked didn't he want to back off of that statement some.

Also my response was to this sentence: Repentance is a change of direction: a change from a life of rebellion to God to a life of obedience to God.

This is a good definition of repentance, but it isn't the only definition nor the best. Repentance IS a deep sorrow, compunction, or contrition for a past sin, wrongdoing, or the like. (Websters) At the same time though it is a change in attitude towards sin and towards God.

#21 mparkerfd20, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What was John talking about?
    First John said:

Matthew 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Then John said:
    Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

To say that one was sorry for their sins was not enough. To say that one had repented was not enough. John demanded the fruit of repentance. If one had repentented there would be a change in their life.
    Repentance means change. It is a change in attitude with respect to God.
    Once I was going down the road of sin. The I repented or changed my attitude toward God. Now I am going 180 degrees the opposite way down the road of Godliness. That is repentance.
    Repentance is not feeling sorry for your sins. It is not sorrow. Godly sorrow leads to repentance.

Judas was sorry for what he had done and went out and hung himselff. He committed suicide. He was sorry, but he never repented. He never had a change of heart.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What are you talking about? There can be no repentance without fruit! Just follow the meaning of repentance. John was saying there was a need for repentance.

4. belvedere

belvedere Member

Thank you, DHK, for stating this so well. So many seem to think that "repent = ask forgiveness (or be sorry) for sins".

I agree with your defintion; I just couldn't have put it into words so clearly!

5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Are you suggesting that repentance is necessary for salvation? Or that those who put their faith in Christ will repent? I suggest some context here. These asking this question were believers.
    Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

1.) "What must I do to be saved?" Or what is necessary for one to have eternal (everlasting) life?

Answer: Believe_________________________________________________

(Take as much space as you need. This is just happens to be the width my screen will allow me to print.)

2.) 'How' are we saved? In other words, by what 'method' or 'agency'?

Answer: Grace_________________________________________________

Place grade here>___________

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Getting there!

I have to give you an "Incomplete!", as this is not specific enough on the answers!

A little more detail might well get you an "A+", perhaps.

But you have definitely started on the right track!

:thumbsup: :saint: :praying: :thumbs:

Ed

8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1.) "What must I do to be saved?" Or what is necessary for one to have eternal (everlasting) life?

Answer: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ_____________________

(Take as much space as you need. This is just happens to be the width my screen will allow me to print.)

Answer: God's Grace______________________________________

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good grade!

"A"

Your answers are fully Biblical.

Ed

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I believe that the need for repentance for salvation is addressed by Jesus in these verses.

Luk 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
    Luk 13:6 He spake also this parable; A certain [man] had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
    Luk 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
    Luk 13:8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung [it]:
    Luk 13:9 And if it bear fruit, [well]: and if not, [then] after that thou shalt cut it down.

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
    Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

:wavey: :thumbs:

13. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay well heres the thing I accept Christ as my Savior but that doesnt change me from what I wear or much else. I spend time in the word and in prayer daily but as for changing habits etc that hasnt happened because I am who I am. Living for Christ has been something within me not something that a lot of people know about me. I resent people that come up and ask me if I know God because yes I do maybe I dont have the official christian look or whatever but I know that Jesus is Lord.

14. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What!?! Where is your Jesus T-shirt? Or Lapel pin? :laugh:

Honestly, Jesus tell us that the world will know who we are by the lives we live. Whether we care and love other christians and help those in need. As much as it grates on many baptists God does require us to follow Jesus teaching and live rightly as according to James.

15. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I've learned that on this board anything you say to someone is taken as "judging them". In America, we've gotten to the point that no one can correct us. No one can tell us that we're wrong. And preachers and youth ministers have bought into this lie. We don't want to offend anyone. But, I digress. Since words on a message board can't show my tone of love and compassion I won't quote anyone, but I do want to offer some biblical support.

1 John tells us that Christians will be different. You can't talk like the world, walk like the world, love the vulgar music of the world, love to wear revealing worldly clothes, and at the same time claim to be a Christian. There is no such thing as a carnal Christian.

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.
    1Jn 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
    1Jn 3:9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
    1Jn 3:10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. (ESV)

#35 mparkerfd20, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  16. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey all,

Let's say that "repentance" means exchanging God's will for ours as a "predisposition" -- like Jesus "setting His face like flint to the cross." This is what saves the SOUL eternally and it is what can be expressed in a "sinner's prayer" effectually -- unto eternal life.

And this is what results in "good works." The spirit (mind, emotions, and will) do not always go the way of one's predisposition, especially as a young Christian where God's will is not understood. But it is the spirit that compares God's will to one's own will and chooses a person's behavior and growth trajectory. The spirit is where salvation is played out "progressively" until the "day of Christ," Phil 1:6. And this growth is the "sign" we all look for but don't always see of another's salvation.

skypair

17. nunatak

nunatak New Member

as a new believer, this really throws me.

Is saying I accept Christ as my Savior the SAME THING as saying that I have put my faith in Christ alone?

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible says:
    "Examine yourself to see whether you are in the faith."
    It gives that admonition to all.

It also says:
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

One could rightly assume that if there is no change in a person's life after they "profess" Christ as Saviour then they really didn't get saved in the first place. True salvation will produce change in a person's life, and not only that, it will continue to produce change as they grow in Christ throughout their life day by day, month by month, year by year. If there is no change it is doubtful that there was no salvation. Salvation, of a necessity, must produce change. That is what Jesus Christ does--he produces change in a person's heart.

To resent being asked of one's testimony could also be a indication of not being saved. The joy of sharing Christ and the privilege of being able to testify of his grace and mercy is one of the greatest privileges that we have. Even in the OT that was true. I think of Jeremiah, the prophet:

Jeremiah 20:8-9 For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.
    9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.
    --Jeremiah (vs.8) was discourage and felt like quitting.
    But in verse 9 he testifies: His word was in my heart as a burning fire...and I could not stay
    Two other translations say: I could not contain it; I could not hold iit in.
    The meaning is that Jeremiah had to speak God's Word; there was not way that he could stop or refrain from doing so.

If that was true for an OT saint, how much more true is it for a NT saint who has the Holy Spirit dwelling within him. We are temple of the Holy Spirit which dwells within us, and we are not ourselves. We were bought with a price (the blood of Christ). Therefore glorify God with your body and with your soul.

There is a great change to them that are born again.

1 John 2:15-16 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
    16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every time.

20. Beth

Beth New Member

Let's ask those two questions: [/B]

Answer: _________________________________________________

Answer: _________________________________________________

(Same as above. Take as much space as you need.)

I'll await your response(s), so that we are not comparing apples and pickles. :)

Ed[/QUOTE]

Hi Ed! In order to be saved, you must recognize you are a sinner who cannot save yourself, repent of your sin and believe that Jesus Christ, who was crucified, died and rose on the third day...has paid the penalty for your sins..

How? The only agency which saves us is Christ. Pray to the Father, ask Him to forgive you and that you wish to receive Jesus as your Savior. You are then saved (fully justified, made right in God's eyes) because Christ's own righteousness is imputed to you.