1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Two views of being saved

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We hold that all have free will, but due to our sin natures, limited as to what we can freely choose!

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But your content is clearly salvation

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sinners will not desire to get saved apart from the work of the Holy Spirit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not know that. But maybe more like Balaam, Numbers 23:10, ". . . Who can count the dust of Jacob, and the number of the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!"
    2 Peter 3:9-15, "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord. But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you; Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children: Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; . . ."

#44 37818, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 10:29, "Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"

#46 37818, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  7. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    don' t forget the context, verses 28 and 30

8. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, but it should change your understanding and interpretation.

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    @SavedByGrace, I see you ignored this.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . or else to be shed for them only that they might be the deeper damned.
    Romans 14:9, "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. . . ."
    Romans 14:11, ". . . For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."
    Romans 8:34, ". . . Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, . . ."

1 John 2:2, ". . . the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. . . ."
    Romans 8:34, ". . . is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. . . ."

He died to be Lord and Judge of the the dead and Lord and Savior of those whom live through Him.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not change Hebrews 10:29.
    Hebrews 10:28-30, ". . .
    He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace ? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. . . ."

12. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like John Owen. I modernized his Death of Death logic quote to make it easier to grasp. Here's a sample.

The Father imposed His wrath due unto, and the Son underwent punishment for, either:

All the sins of all men.

All the sins of some men, or

Some of the sins of all men.

In which case it may be said:

That if the last be true, all men have some sins to answer for, and so, none are saved.

That if the second be true, then Christ, in their stead suffered for all the sins of all the elect in the whole world, and this is the truth.

But if the first be the case, why are not all men free from the punishment due unto their sins?

You answer, "Because of unbelief."

I ask, Is this unbelief a sin, or is it not? If it be, then Christ suffered the punishment due unto it, or He did not. If He did, why must that hinder them more than their other sins for which He died?

If He did not, He did not die for all their sins!"

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How? And then why? Should I believe those whom God saves can turn there back on God?

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your understanding makes no sense to me or we would agree.

2 Corinthians 5:14, ". . . For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: . . ."

15. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are a universalist, we cannot agree. It's grace VS works.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The two views:
    1) The saved know they are saved now.
    2) The saved know they are saved now, but that salvation can be lost.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean lost, or chastised?

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a universalist. If universalism was true, it would not matter.

Now the two views hold salvation is by grace, not the works.

The second view holds that one can leave the faith. The first view holds once one believes and is saved, one will not leave, because God keeps them.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Hebrews 10:30 tell you?

20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is by works if you can reject the faith. This also means you believed you could accept the faith. Both are merit/demerit based sides of the same coin. This is why free will teaching is a false teaching, yet God still uses a lie to save some.