1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TxBaptist Mission vs. SBC Missions

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by bb_baptist, Nov 12, 2002.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

The Baptist General Convention of Texas this week is expected to approve a new world-missionary agency, which critics say would be in competition with the huge missionary operation of the national Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderates say the proposed global-missions organization, to be voted on today during the annual Baptist General Convention state convention in Waco, isn't meant to compete with the conservative-led Southern Baptist Convention missions agency. The proposed organization would merely expand missions initiatives by Texans, including work in Mexico, they said.

But conservatives say the proposed Texas missions agency is another indication that moderates leading the 2.7 million-member Baptist General Convention of Texas are slowly pulling away from the 16 million-member Southern Baptist Convention.

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

It would be a lot easier if they would stop playing games and just break away from the SBC officially.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The new mission agency would provide opportunities for people the SBC would not approve to follow God's leadership and take the gospel to other cultures.

What's wrong with that? :confused:

4. wjrighter

wjrighter New Member

i was born in texas ,went to Ridgeley baptist (by tex.blvd )then University bapt. then to buckners in dallas 1st bapt. under WA.Criswell;then several down in s.e.tex. independent,aba,bma &sbc,i tried missions in sbc,but you can't be divorced w/them;had preacher friend say listen to God not anyone else,so as a result i'm going to try short term vol.miss. work ,see where that leads.i hope what ever texans decide is in keeping w/ God's plan! [​IMG] ......bill

5. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

I support missions work. I'm against the games that the CBF / BGCT crowd continues to play (i.e., "We're not a denomination, we don't want to be one either."). I wish the leaders of the CBF and the SBC could meet together, agree that the ideological differences are too great to be overcome, spend a serious time in prayer for each other, then part their separate ways.

As long as the leaders of both sides keep playing politics, the work of missions and evangelism will suffer. I'd like to see an "amicable parting." Unfortunately, I really don't think that will happen.

Rev. G

6. Ruth

Ruth Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, I have been a Southern Baptist my whole life. My ancestors, as far back as we know, were also Southern Baptist. However, several of my family members in the current generation have left this denomination for exactly the reasons some of you have noted - the lack of cooperation (and civility!) between Baptist affiliations.

I am not thrilled with the actions and attitudes of either the SBC or the CBF. Both are behaving badly, in my eyes. Everyone seems to have lost the reason that these organizations were supposed to exist - a method of combining resources to reach a lost world.

I keep wondering just where it is in the Bible that Jesus said to go and tell the world the good news - but be sure that the messengers agree with the criteria our denomination uses! He never intended this. In my mind, we should not be using manmade statements to qualify who is supported as a missionary, and who is not. All that we need to know is that they are born again believers in Christ. All else is window dressing.

Ok, you can attack me now. ;)

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have been a SBC er about as long as I have been a Christian.

There was a time I considered myself a died in the wool SBC-er.

I can't say that I am now, though I am supportive of and participate in SBC things.

The thing about Texas Baptists--as a Christian, I can do what I feel God wants me to do when I thing God wants me to do it. I can support non SBC things if I want to. I should not have to suffer if I do what God requires.

Maybe I should be IB.

8. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just wonder if there is ever going to be a group of Baptists in the US that is neither rigid like the SBC is, nor loose like the CBF is. I have attended SBC churches most of my Christian life, but feel that my identity in Christ should not be formed by the direction a denomination takes--or refuses to take.