1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Typology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 29, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was reading my commentary on Jonah by Charles Feinberg and the author dives into typology a little saying Jonah is a type of Israel. I remember studying typology in hermeneutics but this may be a characteristic of Arminian and dispensational hermeneutics and not Calvinist hermeneutics. Am I correct? These words rarely pop up in Mac or Washers books. They do pop up sometimes in David Jeremiah's books. Very interesting..

I do not have any Calvinist based hermeneutics books but RC Sproul has one I should get one day.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feinberg is hard core Chiliast and misses the mark in a huge way here.

for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Mt 12:40

1 Then Jonah prayed unto Jehovah his God out of the fish`s belly.
    2 And he said, I called by reason of mine affliction unto Jehovah, And he answered me; Out of the belly of Sheol cried I, And thou heardest my voice.
    3 For thou didst cast me into the depth, in the heart of the seas, And the flood was round about me; All thy waves and thy billows passed over me.
    4 And I said, I am cast out from before thine eyes; Yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
    5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul; The deep was round about me; The weeds were wrapped about my head.
    6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; The earth with its bars closed upon me for ever: Yet hast thou brought up my life from the pit, O Jehovah my God.
    7 When my soul fainted within me, I remembered Jehovah; And my prayer came in unto thee, into thy holy temple.
    8 They that regard lying vanities Forsake their own mercy.
    9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that which I have vowed. Salvation is of Jehovah.
    10 And Jehovah spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land. Jonah 2

You'd best pay attention to inspired scripture rather than to uninspired man.

#2 kyredneck, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typology in the Bible is indeed recognozed by both calvinists/arminians/non calls!

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me that from scripture please.

Show me where Israel after the flesh was given such a mission.

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is some good reads if you have the time:

Jesus as Israel: http://www.leithart.com/pdf/jesus-as-israel-the-typological-structure-of-matthew-s-gospel.pdf & http://feedingonchrist.com/jesus-true-israel-of-the-first-gospel/

Israel's mission (which is actually God's mission): http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830825711/?tag=baptis04-20

I saw your other thread. While I don't think that Israel was meant to "go" in the NT sense, they did have a mission to be a light to the nations, represent God to that nations as a kingdom of priests. Abraham as the blessing to the nations is the turning point of the story after the sin filled chapters of Gen. 3-11. And Paul even calls the mission to bless the nations the gospel (!) in Gal. 3:8. Israel's mission was to bring the nations into the presence of God, who dwelt with Israel exclusively. That is the point of the OT story. Jesus ultimately accomplishes that mission. And the church continues that today. And there is the continuity of the biblical narrative. The methods have changed throughout the ages, but God's mission remains. There is also an Adamic aspect of Israel's mission to rule over God's creation, which is one day to be restored to its paradisal perfection. Israel was a new humanity or a new Adam, Jesus is a new Adam, and the church is a new man (new Adam). More continuity. This is where Beale's NT Biblical Theology is quite helpful, especially part 1 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0801026970/?tag=baptis04-20).

#7 Greektim, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...don't have the time, thought maybe you could just toss me a scripture or two that shows where you're coming from. Guess not.

I would agree with you had you said that Israel's 'purpose of being' (in lieu of 'mission') was to be a light unto the nations. I see no where that they were given 'a mission' in that regard.

9. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Exo 19:5-6 is the most informative on Israel's mission. As God's special elect nation (out of all the nations I chose you), you will be my kingdom of priests (this is mission in that the duty of a priest is to represent people to God). That means your job is to bring the nations into my presence which is exclusively with you. The nations will do this, they will come to you (Israel), if you are a holy/distinct/separate nation. Just as the people come to the priests at the temple, the nations will come to you as you bring them into my presence.

Here is an illustration of what mission success looks like:
    Zec 8:22 Many peoples and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem and to entreat the favor of the LORD.
    Zec 8:23 Thus says the LORD of hosts: In those days ten men from the nations of every tongue shall take hold of the robe of a Jew, saying, 'Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.'"

In Israel's history, it only happened once or twice: w/ Rahab, Ruth, and the Queen of Sheba (all women btw). That is the typological/christological point of Matt 12:42, "The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here." At this point, Solomon's ministry was as its climax of effectiveness. There was a temple/house for God. Israel was a light to the nations drawing them to the presence of God. And what happens next in the Solomon narrative? He screws it all up.

So there is some Scripture. I also mentioned Gal. 3:8 which is quoting Abraham's (and thus Israel's) mission to bless the nations as THE GOSPEL! That is huge!!! But here is the problem w/ requiring prooftexts. You are missing the point of the entire story. I can't quote the entire Bible, but that is what the Bible is about. So your pious call for Scripture, and your snarky aside that I can't ("Guess not") is a faulty way to require evidence. The Bible is the testimony or story of God redeeming humanity. Israel is God's method to do that. Jesus is the new Israel with mission success. Jesus as the new Israel surrounded himself w/ 12 (TWELVE!!!) disciples to continue the Israel of God in the time between the times (beginning of the age to come but the current evil age continues). Thus the church as the Israel of God is continuing this mission to bless the nations. That is the biblical story.

Biblical theology, not systematic, is what will save evangelical theology and the understanding of the Bible.

#9 Greektim, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many of the OT quotes are made to israel, but are really being made to refernce Jesus as coming Messiah, as the One who will represent the ideals Israel should have lived up to..

And some passages refer to the coming of jesus at Second coming, and israel will indeed be a light then, as where all nations worship God from there...