1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

U.S. House Supports Religions

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by leesw, Dec 12, 2007.

1. leesw

leesw Member

Read this carefully. I don't care if the government "supports" or "recognizes" Christianity, but it's interesting to me that some supported this "supporting" and "recognizing" or other religions but opposed that same treatment for Christianity. Note WHO opposed the same kind treatment of Christianity.

U.S. House Passes Resolution Supporting Religions and Holidays
    Some Representatives Who Said "Bah, Humbug" to Christmas Favored Ramadan Resolution

WASHINGTON, Dec. 12 /Standard Newswire/ -- Yesterday, the U.S. House passed a resolution recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith by a vote of 372 to 9. Nine members voted against the resolution, ten refused to support it by voting "present," and 40 others members did not vote.

All but two of the representatives voting "present" or against the Christmas Resolution voted in favor of a resolution recognizing Ramadan, which passed by a 376-0 vote in October. The Ramadan Resolution stated that the House "recognizes the Islamic faith as one of the great religions of the world...expresses friendship and support for Muslims...acknowledges the onset of Ramadan...and conveys its respect to Muslims...rejects hatred, bigotry, and violence directed against Muslims...commends Muslims... who have privately and publicly rejected interpretations and movements of Islam that justify and encourage hatred, violence, and terror".

The Christmas Resolution uses the same language, stating that the House recognizes "the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world...expresses continued support for Christians...acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith...acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization...rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians...and expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world".

The nine members who voted against the Christmas Resolution were all Democrats: Ackerman (NY), Clarke (NY), DeGette (CO), Hastings (FL), Lee (CA), McDermott (WA), Scott (VA), Stark (CA) and Woolsey (CA). The 10 who answered "present" without entering a vote were also Democrats except one: Conyers (MI), Frank (MA), Holt (NJ), Payne (NJ), Pence (Republican from IN), Schakowsky (PA), Schwartz (PA), Wasserman-Schultz (FL), Welch (VT) and Yarmuth (KY).

Mathew D. Staver, Founder of Liberty Counsel and Dean of Liberty University School of Law, commented: "I am pleased to see that the vast majority of the United States House of Representatives supports Christmas and recognizes the fundamental role of Christianity in America. Our Founders believed that Christianity was the best foundation for a republican form of government and freedom. It is disturbing that a small number of representatives support Ramadan and Islam but not Christmas and Christianity."

Standard Newswire

2. billreber

billreber New Member

Just one small question:

Who voted AGAINST the Ramadan resolution? While this article points out those AGAINST the Christian resolution, it does not say anything about who voted against the other one. Was it the same people? The votes were VERY similar in numbers. Perhaps those voting against the resolution were simply voting against appearing to support ANY religion.

I totally agree with the sentiment expressed by Leesw, but feel that it is worthless to make a point with only half of the information.

Bill

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Looks like only a handful of Democrats and no Republicans have read the Constitution, especially that part about respecting an establishment of religion. Good for the ones named above, and good for America. We need more like them.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's a difference between supporting the right to free religious expression, and promoting it. Why would this handful of Democrats express support for Islam, and not for Christianity? This, to me, would be tantamount to supporting a radical religion.

5. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Considering That the Senate has had Hindu Prayer in it....., house of reps had one in 2000....

I dont agree with title given to this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9To30Hz7A

Not sure what to make of it.

Are any senators Hindu that they had a Hindu invocation?

Anyhow as for this...considering they are on the verge of passing that hate crime law, that would outlaw any criticism of any religion {that means a Christian could not criticize Islam to a Muslim} I take this all with a grain of salt}

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The title is perfectly correct. They disrupted the order of the House.

There are Hindu Americans. Why should they not have one invocation out of thousands? If I had my way, there would be NO invocations at all. Bringing religious expression into the government always causes problems.