1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UBBCode help

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Ransom, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Hi. There's not really a "help" forum on the BB, so I hope this is on-topic here. (If not, please feel free to forward it to a more appropriate forum.)

While working on a post, I found myself in a position where I needed to post a literal [ I ] (without the spaces, of course) - not to tag text as italic, but to supply missing information from an abbreviated quotation.

As you would expect, the forum software interpreted it as an italics tag, turning the remainder of my post into italic text.

Is there any way to "escape" UBBCode as literal text, or to fool the forum into thinking it isn't a tag? I can find nothing in the documentation, either on this forum or in any other implementations of BBCode I have looked up on the Web. (I also don't want to disable code entirely for the post, if it can be avoided.)

If someone wanted to write a post about how to use BBCode, how could they do it?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hmm, it shouldn't have tagged it unless you put the closing [/I] at the end. Like this

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Yes, but that only works as long as you don't use any italics later. If you do, the forum software will italicize too much. If you type (substituting braces for brackets):

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Jones wrote that &quot;{I}t was clear that the accused was {i}not{/i} guilty.&quot;</pre>[/QUOTE]then you will get

Jones wrote that "t was clear that the accused was not guilty."

The forum software interprets the tags as widely as possible. If it interpreted them narrowly, it wouldn't be an issue, at least not as frequently.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Maybe use () instead of brackets is a solution to the dilemma?

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Yeah *sigh* I guess it might have to be. It's bad style, though - parentheses and square brackets have different meanings when you are citing text.

I guess the UBB people didn't anticipate people wanting to use those characters as part of their posts.

6. Shep_ROK

Shep_ROK New Member

Don't be so hasty. There is a way. Using ISO or ASCII codes. The ISO code for a left square bracket is &#91; type &#91;I] and it will display as and will not italicize the remainder of your post. I think you can also use the UBB "Code" tag immediately below the message window.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

testing testing testing.

Cool, it works! I had just assumed that since the forum's markup tags weren't HTML, it wouldn't parse entities as entities, so I just never tried this. Thanks!

8. standingfirminChrist

Well! You learn something new every day. Cool!

9. Shep_ROK

Shep_ROK New Member

NE1 want to know how to post Greek and Hebrew here, for instant, יהוה?

Or how about Ιεσους

10. standingfirminChrist