1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UBSS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by nate, Oct 15, 2005.

1. nate

nate New Member

I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the University of Biblical Studies and Seminary. Located in Bethany Ok. A friend told me they are reasonable in cost and really focus on language studies.Any info would be great thanks.

In Christ,
    Nate

2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Is this the place to which you are referring?

American Bible College And Seminary
    7045 NW 16th Street, P.O. Box 99
    Bethany, OK 73008 U.S.A.

Phone: 1-405-495-2526
    Fax: 1-405-495-2521

Degree(s):
    M.A.- Pastoral Ministry;
    M.Div.;

D.Min.

I did a google search and could not find a website for them.

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I was in the ABCS DMin in Bible. IMO those doc courses I took were about at MA level. ABCS was TRACS accredited when I enrolled. But it was put first on probation and then lost its accreditation.

I spoke with the head guy at TRACS as why the school lost its status. The reasons were listed on the TRACS website. But I desired clarification re faculty qualification.

I think the administrator's name was Fitzgerald. He told me that the school lost its accreditation in part because it offered grad work in Bible/Theology with no faculty having accredited PhDs/ThDs in Bible or Theology.

TRACS requires that grad courses be taught by profs with accredited docs in the area of instruction.

Isn't it curious that the very conservative Christian accreditor, TRACS, desires so much more than do so many Christian schools which offer an assortment of grad degrees but have no faculty qualified by the TRACS standard?

How much we Christians differ from each other :confused:

Were I starting out , I would make myself aware of the many Christian accredited schools now offering both undergrad and grad work by Distance Education.

This awareness can develop by looking at Jason Baker's website, the TRACS site, or buying a book on DE Christian Higher Ed as those in print by Jason Baker or Rick Walston (though I disagree with the latter on some of his evaluations).

There are of course, besides US schools, also some less expensive UK or South African schools which might be considered.

Bill

4. nate

nate New Member

Thanks that's what I was wondering.I'm going to have to do a lot of researching. My Pastor thinks Dallas Theological Seminary would be best. That's where he graduated.

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Dallas is an excellent choice if you can attend some courses particularly if you concur with the distinctives of the DTS Theology. At Western practically all of my MDiv, ThM profs were DTS grads.

Bill