1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Unacceptable behavior in church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brad the Baptist, May 19, 2017.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Enough with the name calling please. Remember Philippians 4:8 in your posting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So at what point does it become your business?

Suppose two people start talking out loud - is that okay?
    Suppose someone is listening to a ball game and turns the volume up - is that okay
    Suppose someone next to you brings food in that is "crunchy" ie celery, potato chips, ect is that okay
    Suppose someone starts into the church building with an excessive amount of mud on his shoes, is that okay?

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless somebody has a medical issue, no food or drink in the sanctuary. Period.

Second, if somebody has to get up to go to the restroom, that's fine. But if they have a habit of getting up and wandering around, I'd call them out from the pulpit. If they just refuse to stop, I'd say something like, "You are a valued member of this congregation and we want you to continue to be. But we can't have you constantly interrupting the service."

• Like Like x 1
  4. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does become my business if noise and people walking around are distracting me from hearing the sermon, learning anything, or focusing on the Lord. It does become my business if the whisperers are also trying to whisper to me while I'm trying to pay attention to what's going on. It does become my business if the food and drink gets spilled, and I'm the one cleaning it up.

So yes, there are cases where it's not always a matter of live and let live. However, I do second the motion that if it's that bad, maybe it's better to find another church.

• Like Like x 1
  5. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let's not get ridiculous OK? I really detest these sorts of things.

And I stand by my original statement...you worry about you. If you're doing what you should be doing, that is, paying attention to what the Lord is telling you through the sermon, you won't notice other things.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A biblical church is an orderly church.

1 Cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true!

8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So true TC... But I did enjoy your post #3... Brother Glen:Biggrin

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW....you are supposed to love these people. Employ church discipline if they repeatably offending others. But do it gently & lovingly. See we are relationship building with people when they come to church....we are telling them about ultimate truths they need to hear. That truth telling of God's grace is what the church is all about & should be considered discipleship IE...Christ at work. (see Matthew 28:19-20)

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can be paying attention - but these (minor) examples given in previous posts WILL be noticed.

Of course - I was using extreme examples - - the question is - where do we draw the line.

11. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Using extreme examples basically shoots down your entire argument...

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, those extreme examples are Part I.

and now Part II - where do you draw the line?

and talking about extreme examples - suppose someone came into church with a KFC meal? - would you consider this an extreme example

#52 Salty, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  13. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

see this Appeal to Extremes

I am not going to entertain such foolishness

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The example of bringing KFC meal into church actually happened! and he was sitting on the front row -
    It was rather hard not to notice that.

Also - I am still waiting for you to explain where to draw the line?

15. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That would be up to the pastor and staff. I have never, ever seen any of that behavior in church.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that was part of the problem - the Pastor did NOT do anything about it; nor ANY of the many, many distractions caused by a few number of the folks. At the time, I was associate Pastor - and we spoke of the issues - however, the Pastor did not want to hurt anyones feelings and risk them leaving the church.

Also, I was not toO hep on different folks bringing their dogs into the worship service - ( and I do not mean service dogs)

Edit: I included the word NOT in bold - that one word makes a big difference

#56 Salty, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  17. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not know where you live that people think this behavior is acceptable. I've lived in 4 different states, a number of different cities and have NEVER EVER seen anything like what you are describing. I've lived in small towns and very large cities...I've attended a variety of churches and well...I have no idea what you're going on about here. I've got half a mind to think you're full of soup and making this stuff up.

18. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His argument is not extreme. I have seen all that he mentioned. Substitute Mario Bros. For ball game and substitute McDonalds for KFC, and I have seen it. We had an old lady trip over a kids Nintendo DS cord hanginh across the walkway plugged into the wall. The mother and father got mad at the old lady for tearing the cord up. As chairman of deacons it was my job that day to handle it. Not being in a wonderful mood I told the parents they had lost their mind and that I,stead of defending their brat they should have him out back beating his tail. Gbey left and dud not come back. Honestly, I was thrilled to be rid of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not God's House, WE are

20. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One last time, I don't know where y'all go to church but none of that has ever happened in my life. As a kid, I got the inner part of the upper arm pinch and twist along with the look of death for fidgeting. My kids got the look of death and the knowledge that if they didn't behave I'd take them out and tan their hides. My grandkids get the same treatment. Seems to me that maybe the pastor and elder body needs to come up with some rules and distribute them to the membership...but I still think y'all are joking.